NetPlay Extreme Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can tell, netplay only exchanges input commands, nothing else. When a player joins the server, however, it has to send a whole list of variables and the like, so that a consistency failure doesn't happen. That's why the game stalls while the player is joining. That, and any WAD downloads, if any.

No, it's just more severe right when people are joining because there are a ton of variables to send at once, rather than just button presses.

If you have DSL, switch to Cable. If you have Cable, switch to FIOS.

Or better yet, just find out what ISP your friend's stray internet signal is using and switch to them.

If you have satellite internet, SRB2 will not work over satellite.

The amount of data you can transfer in large chunks doesn't matter to SRB2. What matters is the ability to send very small pieces of data very quickly. Think of like comparing a speedboat to an ocean liner.

I have very good internet, and I don't think the internet is the problem. The game is just slow, like my computer can't handle it, but it handles stuff bigger than SRB2.

I used to have Time Warner. They cut me off a lot. Maybe you are just getting your bandwidth reduced by them all the time.

EDIT:

FiOS is faster than cable, but the uploads are about the same speed, and that's a lot of what SRB2 does. So, if you have cable and will not be downloading much, you could save money by going to DSL.

The upload speed might be about the same, but FiOS has much less latency - which is why you can host about 6 people on a cable modem, but Mystic can host about 16+ on his FiOS.

CTRL+ALT+DEL

Run that and SRB2 only, and see how much CPU it takes up. If it's 100%, your computer is probably too slow for it.

Likely not the case, but it's an option.

Blue Warrior said:
Run that and SRB2 only, and see how much CPU it takes up. If it's 100%, your computer is probably too slow for it.

SRB2 always use 100% CPU time unless you enable CPU sleep/sharing by setting "cpusleep" to 0 or more, to turn it off, set it to -1

SSNTails said:
The upload speed might be about the same, but FiOS has much less latency - which is why you can host about 6 people on a cable modem, but Mystic can host about 16+ on his FiOS.

No, I think that FIOS in itself has a faster upload speed. Mystic once said that he couldn't tell how fast he uploaded, because none of the servers (For those of you who don't understand, web servers. NOT SRB2 servers) could handle it. It may be faster. I'm not sure, this is all hearsay for me.

Yep, computer usage 100%. My computer can't handle it.

Thanks, guys! Even though I won't be able to do netplay, at least I know what the problem is now! <3

SRB2 ALWAYS uses up 100% CPU....unless you've got something like...an Alienware quadcore computer with 4GB DDRam. Trust me, I got my computer 6 months ago...it was brand new and SRB2 used 100% of the CPU.

SRB2 (among other programs) always uses 100% CPU unless you are running on multiple processors or cores. I'm on Dual Core and such programs only take up 50% (but still run at full-speed). This is a nice advantage because it allows me to run both Folding@Home and a game, both at full speed, at the same time. Don't try it on single core/single CPU though, it's only going to reduce performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back