My external hard drive is going screwy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
Okay, I have an enormous problem. My external hard drive is starting to seriously slow down. Today, I couldn't even get it to register on my machine; it just started making a clicking noise.

Most of my stuff is on that machine...including all my SRB2 stuff. Any suggestions?

fawfulfan said:
But the system doesn't recognize the drive.
Well, I think Cue was right when he said:
Cue said:
It may be time to kiss it Goodbye.

Or...You could try restarting your computer to see if it would recognize it.
My flash drive did that once, So I just restarted, And It recognized it again.

Well, some stores feature a service that can recover all files from a disk with almost no importance about its status. But it could be a little expensive. I had an old computer that was wacked out in almost every piece of its hardware, and they were able to retrieve all the stuff I had on the disk, and placed it on a DVD (That disk was only capable of storing 4 GB... Like I said, and old computer). Luckily, the person who made this service was a friend of my parents, so it wasn't expensive, but they could charge you a huge amount of money (or not).

Every once in a while, on TV, I see some documentaries about criminals that tried to burn their hard drives, to hide incriminatory proof, and after a while, the police was able to recover what they had on the burned drive.

So everything you have is still retrievable, but will it be easy? Good luck.

Alternately, you could try to open your computer and check if there are no loose wires touching the hard drive (that could explain the clicking) and clean the dust.

This is an EXTERNAL hard drive.

All of that news, however, is heartening.

EDIT: My Dad took the drive to Staples. They would be able to retrieve the data from the drive, but it would cost $1,000. Dad intends to search for a more reasonably-priced alternative, but our hopes are not high.

Anyway, I just got a new external hard drive, that holds nearly half a terabyte of data--ten TIMES the amount on my primary hard drive! I'll still have to cope with the loss of a lot of data, however.

Cue said:
If it's clicking, it may be time to kiss it goodbye.
My HD is clicking since 2008 and it still works.
It crashes after 15 minutes of use, but then I shut it down, wait 10 minutes and it starts working perfectly fine after.

Sonic Shadow said:
Cue said:
If it's clicking, it may be time to kiss it goodbye.
My HD is clicking since 2008 and it still works.
It crashes after 15 minutes of use, but then I shut it down, wait 10 minutes and it starts working perfectly fine after.
My machine I've had since 2003 and works on the off chance it can.
I say off chance because my machine acts very odd and only starts clicking in random intervals, suddenly stopping (No, not locking up and freezing) here and there. While my machine will run slow, granted being a Windows XP (Home) Computer, sometimes it's able to output what I want. It'll still work if I boot it up now, but might crash randomly.
It's now being as a coaster for my System76 laptop to absorb generally all the heat that it is emiting.

well some of my stuff click or makes noises sometimes. Maybe you should try cooling it off when in use like a small fan right next to it. Whenever i do that my power supply, computer fan and xbox 360 works fine afterwards.

If that dont work then get a cheap flash drive and put ur important stuff in there. If u can redownload it then dont put it in.

Try wiggling and repositioning the connection cord until it recognizes it, my old flash drive used to only work when propped up with a balled-up tissue, so I was able to recover files from it before it died completely.

Autosaver said:
$1,000! Wow!
Oh well, just throw it away. I don't think you have some die-hard files in there.

With a piece of electronics that expensive, you should be able to get it sent in for service, even if it's not in warranty.

Sometimes you can get them to start up by doing "CPR" on the drive. What you do is take the heel of your hand (the bottom part of your palm) and strike the drive hard at a 45 degree downward angle after you plug it in and turn it on. This might get it to spin up and work long enough for you to copy some files.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Hey, I just put it in the drive, and it worked without my doing anything to it! I'm going to transfer as much as I can!

I'm using my old internal HD from 99 as an external, and I've never had problems with it. I use it as a 'must have file' backup currently. Not that 9 gigs is much backup space.

Sometimes you can get them to start up by doing "CPR" on the drive. What you do is take the heel of your hand (the bottom part of your palm) and strike the drive hard at a 45 degree downward angle after you plug it in and turn it on. This might get it to spin up and work long enough for you to copy some files.

And no, I'm not kidding.

That's what I do with my N64 games! Never fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back