Sonic 4: Episode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
The 3DS DID have BC support for DSiware titles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Episode 2 arrived on Wii U. Sega could continue supporting Nintendo and Episode 1 buyers could simply redownload the Wiiware version.

New engine? Tails? Frickin' Metal Sonic?! This might not be half bad. Of course, since it's based on the Ep. I engine Sega will probably find some way to screw it up. (unless the physics are stolen from the Retro Engine, in which case things are going to get hairy fast)

Interview was completely awful, though; it sounds like Sega's PR department handed the guy asking the questions a script.

New engine? Tails? Frickin' Metal Sonic?! This might not be half bad. Of course, since it's based on the Ep. I engine Sega will probably find some way to screw it up. (unless the physics are stolen from the Retro Engine, in which case things are going to get hairy fast)

Interview was completely awful, though; it sounds like Sega's PR department handed the guy asking the questions a script.
He said it has a new physics and graphics engine. When did he say it was based on Episode 1?

He said it has a new physics and graphics engine. When did he say it was based on Episode 1?

He said it was based on the "framework" developed for Episode I. This means that it's still Episode I's engine, technically, and they're just making changes to the physics and graphics subsystems.

No, it means that it's designed in such a way that Episode 1 would still function reasonably with a new engine. The comment itself is nonindicative of the source of the engine. If anything, it hints at the possibility of Ep 1 working and functioning on the new engine, or else they wouldn't have even considered changing the engine to match Ep 1's framework. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw all of the episodes put together at the end of this.

It also actually makes sense for Sega to release S4 this way. If they really have lost touch with how classic Sonic is supposed to play (Which is obvious at this point), releasing the stages in small batches with gameplay tweaks based on feedback is actually the right way to do this. And this news actually addresses the real issues I had with the S4 engine, so I'm VERY excited for this.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the episodic idea at first, but Rob raises a good point. If they're actually going to improve the game between episodes (something I didn't see coming) then I'm on-board.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the episodic idea at first, but Rob raises a good point. If they're actually going to improve the game between episodes (something I didn't see coming) then I'm on-board.

That was what I expected from the episodic format to begin with... and why I didn't go out of my way to get Sonic 4 while at the same time not being terribly upset about aspects of it not being that great. Well that and the fact that I don't really have a purpose for the drama anymore. If its good, its good... if its not, its not.

As for platforms, hopefully if its not on Wiiware it'll be on Steam... because then I can wait for an awesome sale and get it cheap.

I think those expecting a 'new physics engine' and such are setting themselves up for disappointment. All I gleaned from the video is that they made 'tweaks'.

Well sure, some of the issues fans have been complaining about I imagine they wouldn't be able to fix without heavily reworking the engine. While Sonic 4 Ep1 wasn't great, I found it playable most of the time... but it was just not enough for my money. I do hope we see improvements to the level design too, and not just to the physics.

That said, if I can get it for two bucks on Steam somewhere down the road, I don't even have to be too picky.

I never got a good reason to have a large liking for sonic 4, like how they're split up into mini-episodes. I think Sonic Generations was good enough for blind Sonic Nostalgia and all. But I do like Sonic 4's game play. I'm just saying that it should have been in it's own single DLC game instead of parts, as well as in a sort of 2-D 16-Bit fashion.

I actually kind of prefer that the game doesn't look exactly like the 16-bit games, but I would have much preferred a different visual style than the pseudo-3D style they used. Why does Dimps-Sonic hate sprites now? Sonic Advance has way more charm than Sonic Rush does. Why not use a hand-drawn style like Wario Land: Shake It?

Why not use a hand-drawn style like Wario Land: Shake It?
Stacks_of_money.jpg

In a stark contrast from the '90s, rendering models is now considerably cheaper than drawing images one frame at a time.

rendering models is now considerably cheaper than drawing images one frame at a time.

You mean to say that Flash "Transform Tool" animation isn't cheap? Hell, I'd vastly prefer poorly-animated 'toon graphics to CG _anything_.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back