Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, my map was entered in the contest and its not in the wad or the topic. I sent Furious Fox a PM almost a week ago and still dont have any kind of explination. CAN SOMBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED? Thx.

The contest has never used forum PMs for entries, always e-mail. The reason is so people can actually use attachments instead of horrid free file hosting.

Mystic said:
The contest has never used forum PMs for entries, always e-mail. The reason is so people can actually use attachments instead of horrid free file hosting.
I did email him.

darkbob1713 said:
Mystic said:
I did email him.

You said PM, but whatever.
I'm sure the map can be rejected if FF considers bad/unplayable, etc. Or there was a small chance he didn't see it.

Jellybones69 said:
darkbob1713 said:
Mystic said:
I did email him.

I'm sure the map can be rejected if FF considers bad/unplayable, etc. Or there was a small chance he didn't see it.

It wouldn't be rejected if it was bad, although you may get a low score for it, but if it's unplayable then yes it would get rejected.

Hyperknux said:
Jellybones69 said:
darkbob1713 said:
Mystic said:
I did email him.

It wouldn't be rejected if it was bad, although you may get a low score for it, but if it's unplayable then yes it would get rejected.

It is playable.
Mabye the email went into his SPAM folder or somthing.

EDIT: Jellybones69: I meant I PMed him about the problem.

EDIT2: Here are some screenies, so you guys know whatmy level actually is:

FORT BOWSER:

(CTF)

Red base:

Prisoner cage:

Bowser, protecting his throne room:

The throne room:

The main area:

New Super Mario Zone-3/10
Sapphire Coast Zone-8/10
North Pole Factory Zone-8/10
Mr. E Special Stage-1/10

If you have any questions about your respective scores, feel free to PM me.

And to Callum, NO this is not a score summary. And MattW_CFI, YES these are my votes.

Um, only administrators can give contest results. >_>

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. I thought that the deadline was March 7, hence this post....

Callum: I'm pretty darn certain that's his votes, not his interpretation of the results.

darkbob1713: I remember FF mentioning something about a lot of e-mails he received for this contest having no attachments. If you know you sent an e-mail to him, that's probably the reason.

Anyways, I'm in a crazy rush here, so I'll keep things brief.

Match _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Boringe by SonicMaster _ 5/10
I dislike point-giving gimmicks like that, sorry. The level design is semi-good, but did you need to place every single bomb ring in a complete dead-end?

Toxic Plant Zone by HyperKnux _ 6/10
You might creep out claustrophobics here, ya know. ;P
Yeah, it's ... tiny. Works somewhat well for a small netgame, but I can see how this would be hell for a larger game.

Rook's Valley Zone by Drake Spyker _ 7/10
First thing I said in the netgame I was in: "Auto-Rail. I can hear Glaber complaining already."
Despite that (I don't personally mind Auto-Rail), it works pretty well. A few design choices here and there that I don't like, and the design seems a bit cramped (not as much as the last map, but still) but aside from that... yeah.

Destiny Islands by Darkness Claw _ 0/10
Er, NO. Completely, utterly unplayable due to the insane lag. Seriously, detail is good, but this is OVERKILL.

Castle de Space by Space K. Green _ 6/10
Confusing, at first, and huge, no doubt. Probably works well for 10+ player netgames, but those are rarely seen anymore.

CTF _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Holding out on voting on these because a three-player netgame doesn't really give me a good idea of how these maps really play. Unfortunately.

Circuit _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Heavenly Fountain Zone by SonicMaster _ 5/10
Me, Kitsune, and Chaos_Knux had an lol of a time trying to play this without the asset pack, that's for sure! ;P
But, yeah, you went a bit too far with balancing things and made it quite difficult for Sonic to get far ahead of Tails.
The waterfall ending was a bit interesting, though.

Aqueduct Circuit Zone by Ezer.Arch _ 7/10
Heh, this seems pretty nice. It's a semi-thokfest, but there are some nice obstacles to throw off people just blindly rushing through.

darkbob1713, FF mentioned when he was putting together the contest pack that he got a lot of emails with no attachments. Yours is probably one of those. It happens. Just keep the map on hand until the next contest and make sure you attach it.

Rob said:
darkbob1713, FF mentioned when he was putting together the contest pack that he got a lot of emails with no attachments. Yours is probably one of those. It happens. Just keep the map on hand until the next contest and make sure you attach it.
I might of forgot, but I'm pretty shure I did. Just one question remains: Will I wait for next contest, or will my horrible impatience overcome me and make me post the level in the releases? =P

Gonna keep this brief.

New Super Mario Zone - 2/10
Last time, we had a good 2d map. This month, we have a bad one. I did not like going in circles at the start just to get a switch.

North Pole Factory Zone - 5/10
Eh, just like how most people found my map, this felt average to me.

Mr. E Special Stage - 2/10
Ew, Special Stage. Bearly enough rings to clear the level. Needs more rings.

Sapphire Coast act 2 - awesome
Second act of a first zone. Glad most people liked the Springy-Shells.

darkbob1713 said:
I might of forgot, but I'm pretty sure I did. Just one question remains: Will I wait for next contest, or will my horrible impatience overcome me and make me post the level in the releases? =P

Keep your map until next contest. While next contest doesn't arrive, you could go making other map. :)

darkbob1713 said:
Rob said:
I might of forgot, but I'm pretty shure I did. Just one question remains: Will I wait for next contest, or will my horrible impatience overcome me and make me post the level in the releases? =P

Well, you could take the time to improve on it while you're waiting for the next map to come up.

Based on people's scores, Space Base Zone seems either somewhat decent or just uninteresting. And since I'm using this map for my multiplayer mod, I want to know, what could I do to improve my level?

Scrap it, start over. You can use the same concept though, it's not a bad one. I think that you should not make the bases connected, rather, have two separate bases with asteroids in between them. I also think that making the bases bigger would be really good. And......yea. I can't really give you more than that without forcing my level designing techniques on you.

Start from scratch? I think I can fix what you said was wrong without having to do it over. The bases are only "connected" because of a glitch in the sky, otherwise I would have just had the normal sky there instead of it being one big base. As for making the team bases larger, I think I know where you are talking about.

Jellybones, from what I've played of it...I can say that it could definitely use some work with those wonky springs. Some of them don't really carry you the entire way, while others make you slam your head directly into the invisible ceiling. Also, there seems to only be one path between the two bases, and it involves hopping across rocks to get from one side to the other. Might I suggest adding a few other ways to get across? I would imagine that it would be frusturating to play in a laggy netgame, and the player would be forced to platform the entire way across to the other base(with people shooting at you, no less!), with nothing but a gaping death pit awaiting them should they make the tiniest mistake. Nimbus Ruins has this same problem, though I guess it was intended to be that way.

In short, it was rather simple. Metal Star simple. There was virtually nowhere to hide/run to/traverse. Those springs that lead to the roof? build something else up there, and expand the area. If you took the time to make at least ONE other path to take to the other side, and I'd have given you a 6/10 on this. But it could definitely be made to be a lot smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back