Undertale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Undertale.

The best untraditional RPG since Pokémon. I probably don't need to tell everyone how good it is because everybody knows but to avoid making this pointless, It's gameplay. My only flaw about it isn't even about the game. But the community (Yes the bold was necessary), honestly the only way to describe it is it's almost as bad as the Five Night's at Freddy's community.

It fills me with determination...

Mind giving a link? I tried finding it on Google, and the first thing that came up was Flappy Bird in Unitale. =P Either way, the chances of fan games existing are a lot higher now; Undertale's audience is big enough that at least one or two people would attempt it.

In other news, I've confirmed Undertale's Steam release is DRM-free, so I'll be buying it there instead of waiting for Toby to publish it on GoG; it's probably not going to happen since he doesn't ever plan on updating the demo to reflect the final game. While I've emailed him about it and encouraged other people on GoG's wishlist to do the same, I'm not going to count on it.

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
Right here: https://mega.nz/#!nINCDaqa!agPSUGjI2IM28HTpk8xlygTRBmHJlrOE9N9RxNFHL0k

Guys, the human souls reminded me about the Chaos Emeralds. Kinda weird, huh?
Yeah, it does seem like the Chaos Emeralds. But, the "Seven Magic Items" idea has been used quite a bit over the years. Dragon Ball, Zelda, and even Mario have used this idea at some point. Still, it's a cool idea, and here it's used in a really unique way.

I think they call those things magical McGuffins, right? Most video games usually have a collection of McGuffins to propel the protagonists into more areas; even my own 2D game projects can't avert having at least one of them.

So it's interesting to me that Undertale does it too. And here I thought the game would just be about stepping on flowers and going on spaghetti dates with skeletons.

It's... a little different because you're not necessarily collecting them yourself. The souls of the other humans are mostly significant plot-wise and definitely are not as important in gameplay than your average video game McGuffin.

An interesting thing to note is that the same colors of the different human souls are used during battle for different things (link includes spoilers, beware!!); orange attacks not hurting you if you're moving, light-blue attacks not hurting you if you stay still, the different colors your soul changes into during the course of the game, stuff like that. It's interesting how those colors end up having multiple meanings as a result and it's not something a normal person would end up noticing on their first playthrough.

I recently bought Undertale and got the Neutral ending. While I loved every minute of the game and all of the characters, I feel so cheated. It's tempting to get a save file near the true ending.

Is it really impossible to get the true ending on your first playthrough, no matter if you met all the conditions to see it? (It was not easy, and I didn't resort to the Internet for help, either.) I don't feel like repeating what I did to see the real endings for both Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons with Undertale. I really don't. My determination is shattered.

EDIT: Did some digging, and it turns you can. The game is more rewarding if you go into a clean run after neutral, but you don't have to, so I'll save that for a second run. Faith in humanity restored.

Last edited:
If you went all pacifist (Meaning you could only kill the Dummy in the ruins, Asgore because forced, and Omega Flowey because forced) and if you spare flowey, he will tell you that you need to be better friends with different characters, meaning that you needed to sidetrack with sans, date papyrus, and hangout with undyne. He will then tell you to be better friends with alphys, talk to undyne in snowdin, and your true pacifist journey begins

If you went all pacifist (Meaning you could only kill the Dummy in the ruins, Asgore because forced, and Omega Flowey because forced) and if you spare flowey, he will tell you that you need to be better friends with different characters, meaning that you needed to sidetrack with sans, date papyrus, and hangout with undyne. He will then tell you to be better friends with alphys, talk to undyne in snowdin, and your true pacifist journey begins

I did everything save for Undyne and Alphys. (The dating game with Papyrus was beyond awesome! Both he and Sans are a constant roller coaster of laughs.) I didn't know it was possible to see Undyne or Alphys after their story segments, so I'm going back to do those two things before trying again for the true ending.

There is another dating game ahead of you. You're not prepared for it.

There is another dating game ahead of you. You're not prepared for it.

Nope! I wasn't prepared for that at all. Or Undyne teaching me how to cook. Every little moment of it and the dating game was beyond hilarious. Papyrus only made it better.

I got the pacifist ending minutes ago. Wow, the feelings were strong from start to finish. I was almost to the point of tears at times too, but some parts were keeping me laughing too much. Lots of great emotions.

AND I KNEW I HAD THIS FEELING TORIEL WAS THE LADY BEHIND THE DOOR OMG. THAT WAS TOO PERFECT. TOO. PERFECT.

When I feel determined to play Undertale again, I might do a second pacifist run with my current file to see what other extras are packed into it for doing that. For now, I'm very satisfied with the fun experiences I got from this game. Sans the weirdness of the Neutral ending, I can't help loving everything about Undertale. It's a short, but sweet little RPG I think I'll always find a reason to play again.

Because of how attached I am to the characters, it would kill me to do a genocide run, so I might just watch someone else do those dirty deeds on YouTube instead. Even if it means missing literally the other half of the game, I can't bear to do it.

Just finished the Neutral and Pacifist routes, and I just adore this game. The characters were very charming, the battles were creative, and the story was brilliant. The game makes you think about the choices you make, and it's very rewarding. I might do the Genocide route at some point, but I might want give the True Pacifist route a go first... I wish I knew if the endings changed more than certain lines of dialogue...

I found that the game has an interesting difficulty curve... Many bosses I found to be quite easy once you figure out the boss's gimmick, like Paps' Blue Attack and Mettaton's Shoot 'Em Up gimmick, but Undyne's battle is a nightmare- by the second and third phases she launches very fast, high damage attacks which can devastate a Pacifist run. Even Photoshop Flowey wasn't that difficult.

Anyways, my personal favorite characters have to be Asgore Dreemurr, Alphys, and Flowey. Asgore was a very well written tragic character with an amazing build-up and design, Alphys is quite funny, her character arc is quite interesting as well. Flowey is a very clever idea, representing the player as he saved and restarted numerous times, and even he abuses this power in his Photoshop Flowey form, much like how I'd save and restart to fight personal favorite bosses in Zelda or Elder Scrolls. Muffet would be a runner-up, as her boss battle was fun, frantic and a personal favorite. I also found her to be quite cute- for a spider. (I definitely do not like spiders, but this an exception) I just felt her sudden appearance and boss battle a little jarring.

Also, the music is spot-on. Every track is memorable, and fit just perfectly with what they accompanied. I wish I could say "Bergentrückung ~ ASGORE" was my favorite track, but everything was just that impressive.

Yeah, replay value and difficulty are pretty low. Though, Undertale's all about the multiple endings, so you do want to play each major story route in order to get the full experience.

Also, it's not much, but naming your character "Frisk" will activate hard mode. Unfortunately it only covers the first area.

Not to speak on ashes' behalf, but it is a little overrated. The problem with plot-oriented games like this one is that surprises only work once. When you boil it down to a gameplay perspective, you have an easy combat system, two or three bosses you can't even lose to, a linear overworld, and two areas that are constantly interrupted by dialogue. As I said, the game has little replay value.

After the three major paths, the best you can do is explore the overworlds and combat dialogues to see if you can make anything different happen. You still have to listen to Alphys being awkward and Papyrus failing at puzzles. The worldbuilding and save file permanence isn't enough to prevent the gameplay from getting stale after 15 hours, so if you're not wooed by the game before then, you're probably not going to be impressed afterward.

I know, but there's some other experiences where Undertale fans were complete jerks to me, and I tend not to like things that are enjoyed by people I don't like. lmao

Besides, I played most of it, then reset the whole game due to me wanting to make the Pacifist Route.

Nice to know you color your opinions that way. Glad to know Sonic hasn't been tainted in your mind.

Also, fun fact, you can't get pacifist run until you've beaten the game once. So if your 'most of it' means you did not get the end of game before resetting, you essentially have wasted two runs.

Also, fun fact, you can't get pacifist run until you've beaten the game once.
Actually, if for example you don't water Undyne or you kill something at the start of the game, you are unable to get a pacifist ending unless you reset. While yes, beating Omega Flowey before resetting lets you avoid having to fight Omega Flowey again during the pacifist run, you will still have to advance to the point of which you'd fight Omega Flowey before you can start on pacifist-exclusive stuff. So the sooner you reset, the less time you waste in order to get a pacifist ending.

Also, that sucks about the Pacifist Round thing.

Having to beat it twice =/= having to play the entire game twice. If you beat the game with the pacifist ending requirements, you can immediately reload your save and start on the pacifist content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back