Suggestions

We're not planning on changing the special stage themes. It's not like we're going to have more than seven chaos emeralds.

Maybe allowing modders to add more special stages following SRB2's normal special stages could lead room to having the "8th Emerald" and even the Super Emeralds into normal gameplay.

Maybe allowing modders to add more special stages following SRB2's normal special stages could lead room to having the "8th Emerald" and even the Super Emeralds into normal gameplay.

I think most or all of that could be accomplished with Lua already, but what would be nice to complete the effect would be an option to use the new Special Stage level transition ourselves with custom exits or G_ExitLevel.

Sonic is the only one with access to shield abilities in S3K. The Lightning Shield in particular is way faster at going up than either Tails or Knuckles is, at the drawback of losing it if you get hit.
And, arguably more importantly, he has the insta-shield, which completely wrecks enemies and bosses, to the point of making enemies with normally impenetrable spike barriers utter jokes. Making Tails the easy mode for platforming and the normal mode for combat, with Sonic being the opposite. And then you can have both Sonic and Tails...

It's a lot more complicated than that. Different modes emphasize different abilities of characters. What is powerful in single player or match are generally very different things. Sonic is fast. His speed is powered by his ability, the thok, which gives you instant speed. His drawback is that he has a serious lack of ability to go up. Without a spring, slope, or other method of gaining altitude, Sonic is limited in his ability to go up and he cannot bypass any platforming at all. To take the obvious opposite example, Tails has absolutely no problems going upwards at all. His ability completely trivializes many platforming challenges and he can easily traverse complicated terrain with no real issues. Tails, however, can't go fast without a lot of prior planning. Without spindashing or speed shoes, Tails is stuck accelerating up to his running speed the slow way and runs slower than everyone else to boot. These strengths and weaknesses are practically polar opposites.

Now, let's look at two obvious modes of play. In single player, the emphasis the game provides is platforming and challenging terrain. Tails excels at that, and the single player game is by far the easiest to play through as Tails. In match, the emphasis the game has is on acceleration and speed. Sonic excels at that, and therefore he's incredibly strong in match. The designs of our modes emphasize different things, and different characters fill those niches best.

We could, if we wanted to, "fix" this by shoring up the character's weaknesses. I'm pretty damn sure that if Tails could fly around at run speed, he'd be way better in match. If we gave Sonic the ability to, say, thok directly upwards, he'd be way better in single player. The problem is that by circumventing character weaknesses, we make the character overall less compelling. The whole POINT of having a choice is to make you give up something for something else. If we removed those weaknesses all of the characters would be fair, but at the cost of making all the characters the same.

I think that homogenizing the characters would be a huge mistake. We want our characters to all feel unique. While this does lead to more complicated questions as to how to make single player challenging for Tails and how to make Sonic weaker in match, it's way better in the long run to preserve what makes each character unique, even if they're drawbacks.
I still loved 2.0's strafefly bug for how risk/reward heavy it was and how hard it could be to pull off effectively, but if you were good, you could wreck Sonic in Race.
Hmm. You know, you're right on that. Tier lists will always exist in any game with differences between the characters. For Single Player, this is no problem, because (Ultimate mode aside) the character dictates the difficulty level. But it doesn't in PvP. The other players do. My thoughts?

The sheer manuverability of Tails and Knuckles offsets their low speed for all other weapons in open areas. But not Rails. But you can't get rid of Rails without replacing them with another long-range weapon, because then it would be too hard to hit them, and nobody would use Sonic. Honestly, the only way I would see to solve this without fundamentally changing the way the game plays would be to design Match and CTF stages in such a way that they force Sonic to either stay still for extended periods to get the powerful goodies, or get a lift from a friendly Tails - which obviously wouldn't apply to FFA Match. This would bring Sonic's single player shortcomings to the forefront in Ringslinger modes, but the problem is that it might not be fun. And if the Emeralds (or even just Super forms) are going to be gone from those modes for all of the five minutes it takes Lua modders to correct this, there aren't as many powerful goodies that you could use to tempt Sonic to paint a target on his chest, either.

Although, if it turns out that speeding Tails' flight up is the only answer, I would suggest that you do it like the classics. Make him faster when he's not climbing. Maybe even give him an additional speed boost for choosing to hard drop with Spin. (That's a classic Adventure way of making Tails go fast from a standstill right there) So you make the choice between "flying, but I'm slow" or "gliding really fast, but I can't turn nearly as well as that echidna" - although from what I gather, this might be what you're going to do already.

Also, in actual suggestions: Please implement a command line variable to change what file the game uses for logging. It's nice having my dedicated server log overwritten by the log of the instance I open to play.

Last edited:
Dumb sggestion, but it would be nice if Lua HUDs could retrieve player control keys as strings.Or maybe extend that to some kind of general function for print strings, for instance,, but it would still be useful for at least custom HUDs, especially menus IMO.

Why? I mean it won't kill you to add city theme special stage and "outside the spaceship" theme special stage, which will fit to the pop up of Grand Eggship and Dark City. Wait, but if it will be like that, so we need to add 2 new chaos emeralds...

Don't need. They can always add the 2 stages as extra ones in NIGHTS mode.

copied from the IRC.

frozenLake: But uh, would it be possible in the future to make it so that when copying the frame of a sprite with lua to another object with a different sprite name, that it keeps the interpolation in MD2 mode?
frozenLake: Actually yeah, just ways to work with interpolation of MD2's with lua would be nice.

(if this is already in and I'm just being a dumb, let me know.)

copied from the IRC.

frozenLake: But uh, would it be possible in the future to make it so that when copying the frame of a sprite with lua to another object with a different sprite name, that it keeps the interpolation in MD2 mode?
frozenLake: Actually yeah, just ways to work with interpolation of MD2's with lua would be nice.

(if this is already in and I'm just being a dumb, let me know.)
As far as I know, that sort of stuff is done through the current frame, the current state's next state's frame, and the amount of time left until the next state, all of which can be modified through Lua in some way. Of course, however, "md2_blendamount" and "md2_blendframe" variables or something would be nice for mobj_t structures.

Last edited:
Well, I seem to be at a loss then, as I have tried to modify blendcolor to pull off what you have been saying just for the sake of experimenting, and I can't pull off the interpolation. If you can pull it off though, I'd like to be proven wrong.

Could you intergrate Prismas blendcolour into the game? It could be a nice addtion for customization.

Can we have act 1 bosses? And if no, if someone were to make "Decent" act 1 bosses, would it be accepted?

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Will there be more cutscenes? like, cutscenes between the zones.

Manimi already asked that, Mystic said no, because he said would we rather have more stages, or cutscenes.

Last edited:
We don't really take public submissions for game content. Sometimes we'll ask to use a thing, but that's pretty rare and is either multiplayer or secret content. We definitely wouldn't outsource a boss, mini as it may be.

Also, nah. We probably won't cut the game shorter actwise.

So, no made act 1 bosses then? I was going to make some, but that kinda shuts me down.
Also, is there going to be a super sonic fight? Something like Egg Rock Core Act 2 as the super sonic fight?

While we're at it why not add secondcolor as well.

...please don't.

I don't want to have to force people to double up the number of frames in their character wad. thats my job.

Anyway, I have a suggestion myself

• Add support for level designers to use personalized colormap lumps.
You know, instead of using the Hex Codes that don't really give a huge amount of variation when it comes to making colormaps in the level. An example of what this could be used for is a false color colormap for use with things like infrared cameras with wall portals.

You can still make them and distribute them as custom stuff to fight, but making something in this community with the direct expectation that we'd ship it with a future update is a fool's errand. We'll come to you if we think it's good and relevant.

Also, heck yes Nomekop, that's actually how it worked back in BooM... I wonder how difficult it'd be to re-implement these days.

Will there be more cutscenes? like, cutscenes between the zones.

This was way back in, I think, 1998, but the original 2D version of SRB2 was intended to have short cutscenes. I believe they've been scrapped for the sake of brevity.

Last edited:
Can you guys at least add some kind of setting to SOC that allows us to set Lighting effect manually with RGB Value (similar to ZDoom's GLDEFS) if you don't want them to be used for default game ?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back