[Open Assets] Knuckles' Deadly Floor Challenge (v1.1)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
Knuckles is unique among the three vanilla SRB2 characters in that his special abilities of gliding and climbing walls let him remain off of the ground indefinitely. This allows him to traverse vast distances without once setting foot on a horizontal surface... but are those distances vast enough to span entire levels?

This Lua script was devised to find out which SRB2 stages Knuckles can actually complete with negligible aid from the floor. Upon entering each level, Knux will receive one automatic high jump and the chance to begin gliding as he ascends, but after that it's fatal for the scarlet echidna to touch the ground for so much as a tic (unless he's standing on a button, which are sometimes necessary for progression). Knuckles is also allotted an auto-jump after exiting a zoom tube or other scripted event to compensate for his inability to start gliding from a mid-air roll.

Attachments

• srb20044.png
    srb20044.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 969
  • srb20045.png
    srb20045.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 647
  • srb20046.png
    srb20046.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 651
  • srb20047.png
    srb20047.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 698
  • deadlyfloor.lua
    2.5 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
Haha, I love this idea! I immediately went and tried to find my way through the entire game, only to get stopped at GFZ3. I killed the eggmobile (a touchy process I might add, seeing as it's impossible to gather any of the rings in there), but was unable to pop the capsule because it killed me before the stage end ran. Can you make a workaround for boss stages? I'd probably pass this then, because it's sure a fun little gimmick :p

EDIT: Actually, any place in general with a button in it will be impossible. Perhaps you can make it not kill if it activates a certain type of linedef? I'm not sure if that's possible.

Last edited:
Actually, any place in general with a button in it will be impossible. Perhaps you can make it not kill if it activates a certain type of linedef? I'm not sure if that's possible.

The script has been updated so that Knuckles will not get killed if he lands on a floor-touch-activated sector or animal capsule button.

Alright thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow for any more potential issues, and then release it.

Well no because then that makes techno hill pretty much impossible?

Both THZ1 and THZ2 are perfectly beatable using the script, and THZ3 almost certainly is as well, provided you have the patience to glide back and forth across the room while missing the Egg Slimer at least half of the time.

---

Updated to version 1.1 to fix a bug with DSZ's waterslides.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back