2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For falling onto them like in the GIF in the OP, it works pretty well. For anything else, however, they're inadequate. Using them the way classic Sonic uses them is right out.
Uhh, there's no GIF in the OP showing quarter pipes. just 4 pngs

Mystic said GIF, not link. Usually if someone says there's a picture file type in a post, usually they mean that the picture is embedded in the post not just linked.

Also I'm on one of the themes where the link text is nearly the same color as normal text. (Ocean)

you're asking for something that doesn't even have a decent coding to be in 2.2, you know how BAD can that be? -Image-
While I'm not really into the debate of whether to have Kilometers or Tails for 2.2 (I'll be fine with either), note that the issue(s) you're talking about are related to Kilometers' tails being split into its own objects with their own sprites to keep the player's sprite counts the same as vanilla Tails'... but 2.2 has reworked skin set-up, where any character can have as many (well, 256-ish?) or as few sprites for any given default animation without having to code anything extra in Lua or such for the character.
Yes, this means the separate tails can be merged onto Kilometers' sprites. Yes, this means the issue(s) you're talking about basically won't mean anything in 2.2.

the whole reason they were detached to begin with was to create fluid tail movement without needing additional sprites

Maybe I'm just too used to Tails' current flight physics, but I don't like the way Kilometers' flight handles at all. I don't think Tails should be able to gain so much speed so quickly just by letting go of Jump for a couple of seconds while flying. As he is now, Tails needs to build up speed on the ground before taking off if he wants to get some serious horizontal distance, but Kilometers' faster natural flight speed makes this technique less rewarding, thus robbing Tails' gameplay of some of its depth and making it, in a certain sense, less like the classic Sonic games, not to mention further widening the gap in usefulness between Tails and the other characters for players of moderate skill.

This is actually how Tails' flight worked in Sonic 3.
And it was also some balance attempt for Tails to actually be able to keep up with Sonic without having to charge up a full spindash leading him to uncontrolable flight ending up in a wall.

Then again, I never did TailsCD for it to be in 2.2, so, I'm not gonna try to throw a reason for one thing from it to be in 2.2 vanilla if the devs already decided against it because I seriously don't care at all. So, er, close that debate, it's already a lost cause. Thanks.

This is coming from one of the main sprite artists of the dev team. I do not want to add TailsCD into 2.2 at all. Everyone might be thinking "But Roach! It's better than the current Tails sprites!", but here's what I think of it... no, it's not.

Yes, it has some nice animation poses such as walking and falling, he has animated tails, and looks somewhat cuter, but that's it. His animated tails have very flat looking shading and are animated awkwardly, he has some inconsistencies in the proportions that just bother me, and every Tails sprite in there seems to share the same problem regarding low contrast, where the outlines look weak to the point they're not even there (thus taking away definition from the character's aesthetic). In short, TailsCD is better AND worse at the same time.

You all do realize that even Lat himself admitted about TailsCD being rushed, right? So we're not going to use something extremely unpolished as a basis at all. The fact that we would have to put effort into fixing the many problems that the TailsCD sprites shows that we could use that effort to just remake Tails from scratch already, instead of just using something that "looks" good, by some people's standards. Trust me, I'd do it myself, but you all already know that I'm beyond busy with other things these days.

The main point is, Tails' current sprites are not something I would define as "great", but they're not an eyesore that MUST be replaced. If Tails is going to get new sprites, then I'd rather have something that looks genuinely better in every way and proves to be worth putting effort into, not just updating someone's rushed design. Stop pretending that TailsCD is better in every way, because it's not.

I will say this, though, I really like how TailsCD's flight gameplay is handled. I'm personally hoping that can be included.

I really like how TailsCD's flight gameplay is handled. I'm personally hoping that can be included.
I have to agree. because it ends up warning you when Tails is about to get tired and that's what makes it unique. But does that mean we have to wait for 2.3 for revamped Tails sprites? Also I love those textures from CEZ1 remake.

I don't think we have tested Coop officially in over five years. Probably longer.

The game is predominantly a single player game. The vast majority of our users never play the game in multiplayer at all. We try to support multiplayer as much as possible in our level designs, but multiplayer is not the priority.
*hits mystic with a pillow*

You've a great Sonic game right there, you have to keep it great in all sides, especially Since first thing players would want to do after finishing Singleplayer levels is playing on Multiplayer servers .

While I personally think having a complete Tails remake one day, we're not going to make any promises in here regarding when or in which version it'll be included. The most honest answer I can give to this is that Tails will get remade when we can actually do it.

Keep in mind that 2.2's main goal is to update the game with the new ACZ acts. I just happened to have Sonic done in the meantime, which made it convenient to include him in 2.2 along.

I have little more to add that hasn't already been said except that the vote was for Kilometers' spriteset, not his additional abilities. After all, importing Fucking Sonic's sprites into the game didn't make us replace default Sonic's abilities with the WAD version's, so there's already a detachment between what characters being added to the game can do and what they look like.

It's entirely possible that - with Lat''s permission - we could use a few of his gameplay tweaks. This would be dependent on codebase devs being interested and playtesting working out, though, so don't get your slopes up.

Well, sure, if that helps Tails having a more dynamic gameplay than having to charge up spindashes everytime he wants to fly without killing his speed, I'm totally okay with that.

I wish Tails' Kilometers Sprites are in 2.2 because SSN Tails' Tails Sprites walks just like Sonic.

Personally, I don't mind if Kilometers doesn't make it into 2.2 or if we never use the sprites at all. While it would be nice to have them put in, If we must settle for someone else's complete remake which should be better, I would at least hope the whole tail animation still finds its way in as well as the swimming animations, it just looks much nicer to me than Tails' tails just sitting there not doing anything.

To bring the topic back towards slopes and away from Kilometers, are chi.miru's Open GL slopes going to be included in 2.2? The lack of shadows in software just bugs me for some reason and is pretty much the one reason I use GL.

To bring the topic back towards slopes and away from Kilometers, are chi.miru's Open GL slopes going to be included in 2.2?
I have a build with their OpenGL slopes, and besides situational crashing which seems to have fixed itself after some days, I found no issues. I can't imagine they won't be included, and I'm still surprised OpenGL haven't been merged into the public "next" branch of the game yet. But there hasn't been a merge request, which I guess is a valid reason. But remember, I'm not a developer, I'm just saying it's unlikely it won't be included.

TL;DR: OpenGL slopes seem to work just fine, so I'd be surprised if they're not included.

Sonic's new sprites look less chubbier than our current sprites from behind??

...or is this just me.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Oh and i like the sky for ACZ1, weirdly suits the level even if its pixel~ly

Sonic's new sprites look less chubbier than our current sprites from behind??

...or is this just me.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Oh and i like the sky for ACZ1, weirdly suits the level even if its pixel~ly
I agree with both of those points. Actually, an old friend saw me play the game a while back, and he asked why Sonic was fat. I should have responded with "He ate too many chili dogs." Or something funnier than that. -_-
Well, it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure TailsCD will be ported to 2.2, and those who prefer it could just use the add-on.

I hope this at least goes into 2.2 though. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40157
Again, I agree. I think Snailer looks very unfinished currently, and I basically load this every time I play the game. Also, the projectile gives the badnik a little more of a challenge, and it fits Snailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back