May/June 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Single player reviews, as always.

Greenflower Sunset Zone- 6/10
I started playing this level and thought, "Hey, this isn't bad." Then I started repeatedly backtracking by accident and realized this style of level could only be made by Fawfulfan.
Most people rather enjoy levels that aren't perfectly linear. My only problem is that I keep taking alternate routes to go forward... in the wrong direction thinking they're a way onward rather than a new way back. You need some way to make sure it's obvious when one is backtracking. This goes for several levels in Tourtured Planet as well, in case you care. (It takes me FOREVER to get through Sunshine Atoll Act 1)
-Other than that, the level is well constructed, just a bit... average. Not really exciting, but not bad.

Flower Cave- 3/10
I didn't know emerald hunt mode was even possible in SRB2! But even so, this stage was small and bland.

Sparkling Icecap- 7/10
Thompson, as usual your level is so complicated, that figuring out how to move on is nearly impossible. You make amazing scenery and creative gimmicks, but your levels are so crammed with stuff it's hard to keep track of where you have and haven't been. So other than some Claustrophobia, I liked this one. But, try making your stages a tad easier to navigate.

Frozen Hillside - 6/10
You managed to pick out my favorite song from MLP (of the one's I've actually heard) but unfortunately, I don't think music countes toward your score. The level was nice though, though mostly platforming without any real complex gimmicks (reminded me a bit of Mystic Realm or something.) No blow-you-away details, but, like with Fawfulfan's, not bad.

Stronghold Forest 6/10- Cool theme, nice custom enemies. Again, nothing really to complain about.

White Mountain- disqualified

Waterway Ruin- disqualified

Jadeflower Zone- 3/10
Short and uninteresting. You either need some really spicy gimmicks, some more level length, or both.

Greenflower Sunst Zone - Fawfulfan
- 7/10 -
Nice, but it lacks any real gimmiks.

Flower Cave Zone - Mile Knuckle Power
- 3/10 -
Coming Soon

Sparkling Icecap - Thompson
- 7/10 -
I agree with everything Mystic said about this map.

Frozen Hillside Zone, Act 1 - lolme
Sorry about the song not being looped, I was going to, but I ran out of time.

Stronghold Forest Zone, Act 1 - KO.T.E
- 8/10 -
Better than the first version, more comments coming later. (Maybe)

White Mountian Zone - Kuba11
- N/A -
Coming Soon

Waterway Ruin Zone, Act 1 - Chrome
- N/A -
Coming Soon

Jadeflower Zone, Act 3 - Blahblahbal
- 3/10 -
Coming Soon

Last edited:
Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan 7/10

This level is great. It feels like it would work well as an introductory level. More details later.

Flower Cave Zone by Mile Knuckle Power 1/10

For an emerald hunt it was too easy. Two of the emeralds were practically by each. I highly suggest working on a regular level before working on an emerald hunt or looking at the ones in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 that were well received for design and playablity for ideas. It is advisable to make an emerald hunt level like a small to medium length level to make it more enjoyable.

Sparkling Icecap Zone by Thompson 7/10

This level has great ideas but a few of the rooms have need improvement. One major thing that even your previous levels had was it difficult to figure out where you need to go in the level. More details later.

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade 7/10

There is not really much to say. The level has a really solid level design, but the gameplay feels very generic.

The breakable ice was well executed and the both, the heavy snow and the snow river were a great touch to the level, but it just did not feel all that fun. Part of the reason was because the level did not feel challenging at all. I did not have any difficulty with the level to the point I just breezed through it. More details later.

Stronghold Forest Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E 9/10

At first I did not really like this level because it felt boring at first, but it grew on me the more I played it. This level has been greatly improved from the previous version. I like the addition of the Camo Crawla in this level, it fits well with this level. The collapsing bridge with the trampolines seem they will work perfectly well if it was used for one of those type of paths where the player challenged to stay on a higher road to take a different route to finish the level. More details later.

White Mountian Zone by Kuba11 N/A

The level itself is a bit cramp and too linear. It has good ideas but just does not mesh well with short, cramped rooms. The parts before the end could be extended a bit. I cannot really say much else for the moment because of the length of the level. Hopefully more details later.

Waterway Ruin Zone Act 1 by Chrome N/A

This level was really fun to play, although it is a shame that it is disqualified. More details later.

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by Blahblahbal 4/10

It defenitely looked like it could be considered an improvement over your previous levels, but it is just too short. More details later.

Last edited:
Single Player
Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan - 7/10
I don't really have anything to say for this one.

Flower Cave Zone by Miles Knuckle Power - 3/10
Well, there have been worse entries...

Sparkling Icecap by Thompson - 7/10
Loved the visuals, puzzles, gimmicks (that ice slide man) and camera effects. Some of these things I didn't even know could be done in the SRB2 engine (such as the freezing river). Had a few HOMs but I didn't get much lag myself, even though I'm playing in Software. The lava slide at the end was poorly executed, and you shouldn't have had to tell the player what to do in that situation. It's also a bit long and you often spend too much time in one room.

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade - 8/10
I wasn't too impressed by my initial quick run with Tails, but I thought maybe I should give it another (few) shots as Sonic. Good thing I did, because I got to appreciate the stage and the clever design more. I like how there are heaps of intertwining paths, the way a good Sonic stage should be. The gravity snow was a little annoying (moreso as Tails) but allowed for some clever design gimmicks. The Pony music was NOT called for.

Stronghold Forest Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E - 9/10
I cringed when I saw the trampolines, until I saw how you were using them. Great job there. I'm going to admit, the random Pinkie Pie scared me because I thought i was was running straight into an enemy. What is she DOING there? I still don't see how people think poisonous mud makes any sense. I didn't even see the pit near the cannons because it was dark and blended in with the ground. The mud near Pinkie Pie is also slightly too deep so it's hard to get on top of the fallen bridge if you fall in. Despite these issues it was probably my favourite map this time around, so keep up the good work.

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal - 5/10
Wow, that was short. The music doesn't fit either. The tall grass (...kelp) would look better as an unpegged texture.

Last edited:
Note to map authors: if you want detailed criticism/comments on your map, just leave me a PM and I'll reply as soon as possible.

SINGLE PLAYER

Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan - 7/10
The best Greenflower-themed level ever!

Flower Cave Zone by Miles Knuckle Power - 1/10
Uninteresting emerald hunt stage.

Sparkling Icecap by Thompson - 10/10
I absolutely adore this stage. Music, design, theme, visuals, everything... This stage is the closest thing to perfection I've ever seen in SRB2!

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade - 9/10
Another awesome ice level, but less memorable than Sparkling Icecap. A little bit too much of the same sometimes.

Stronghold Forest Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E - 6/10
I love the theme... but for some reason I don't really like the stage as much as I should.

White Mountain Zone by Kuba11 - dis/qualified (3/10)
Ow, clashing visuals. Uninteresting level design.

Waterway Ruin Zone Act 1 by Chrome - dis/qualified (5/10)
Average, nice theme, sometimes confusing.

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal - 2/10
Wow, I don't even have to jump once! Also way too short.

MATCH

Ponies Suck Zone by Fawfulfan - 3/10
Interesting theme... sub-par but slightly enjoyable layout.

Flux Satellite Zone by 742mph - 2/10
Awesome to screw around in... horrible as a match stage.

Southern Sands Zone by akb778 - 2/10
Too open and large... also maze.

Aries City Zone by EternallyAries Red X - dis/qualified (2/10)
HANGOUT! Also too flat.

Frozen Tundra Zone by Chaos Zero 64 - 3/10
lol rush-job

CTF

Majestic Grove Zone by Scizor300 - 7/10
Sciz, this is your best level ever so far. I like it! A lot. Although it is a bit too large for small netgames...

Mystical Heights Zone by Metal Fighter - 3/10
Awesome outside visuals, not very good otherwise.

White Pass Zone by Kuba11 - 6/10
Great visuals! Nice design with slightly too cramped tunnels at the bases.

Sylvan Shrines Zone by Spherallic - herp/derp
This is the second time ever I designed the bases for a CTF map, the first time being in 2009 with Abandoned Disco/Deserted Dancefloor. All of my collaborations with Blade or KOTE had the bases made by them.
In short, if the base design is horrible, this time I'm the one to blame :>

RACE

Croissant Mountain Zone by D00D64 - 5/10
A bit too much sometimes. Near-impossible under heavy lag.

Frozen Hall Zone by Metal Fighter - 6/10
This map is actually quite good! Nice balancing of the three characters.

Last edited:
Single Player

GreenFlower Sunser by FawFulFan 8/10
Nice Co-op map, only thing that does not fit there is the music. Good Job FawFulFan.

Flower Cave by Miles Knuckle Power 1/10
Seriously man, it's just an empty map with some emeralds.

Frozen Hillside by Blade 9/10
Cool and creative map, I liked the details.

Stronghold Forest by KO.T.E 10/10
Interesting level desing. I really loved that map... I found a cute pony there :3.

White Mountain by Kuba 11 - Disqualified 3/10
Too Much Lava, also the level is a lot confusing.

Waterway Ruin by Chrome - Disqualified 9/10
Aww, the level was disqualified. Well Awesome map, Cool music and nice idea. Good Job Chrome.

Match

Ponies Suck by FawFulFan 6/10
Small and cool map. Oh the red sky looks horrible.

Flux Satellite by 742mph 3/10
Hell no!. not a nice desing for a match stage, is just an empty map floating in the space; well at least you got an original idea.

Southern Sands by akb778 4/10
Is a lot big for a match game.

Aries City by Eternally Aries Red X - Disqualified 1/10
Hurray for the Roleplay and Hangout map!. By the way it's just a bad copy of tyrcity (In my opinion).

Frozen Tundra by Chaos Zero 64 4/10
The map is really small for a decent match, people just get a lot of bombs and won really easy.

CTF

Majestic Grove by Scizor300 7/10
Nice level desing, good idea and good job. Eh the music does not fit there :/

Mystical Heights by Metal Fighter 10/10
I really liked this map. It looks nice with those grey textures, also the desing is original and pretty good. Good Job Metal Fighter.

White Pass by Kuba 11 4/10
Well, ice CTF maps are a lot confusing, most of the textures seems to be blue; also nice level desing.

Sylvan Shrines by Spherallic 8/10
Well, that guy always make good maps. Nice idea, nice desing. Oh those textures are confusing if there's lag.

Race
Croissant Mountain by D00D64 5/10
the idea is interesting and original, but the map is kinda unplayable with lag.

Frozen Hall by Metal Fighter 6/10
The water hurts :(, and those platforms made people fail a lot. Well is a nice map.

Last edited:
YES! I have finally come out of the depths of netgaming with Aries a bunch to judge some levels! May-June 2011 OLDC, here I come!

Single Player

Sparkling Icecap by Thompson: 4/10
I was one of the people who got REALLY frustrated at the framerate lag issues, and the area with the rising orange slime instead of lava: not nice. Also, I got stuck on certain puzzle rooms for a while because I had no idea what to do. The gargoyle statue is misleading, by the way; you don't really move it to unlock anything, unless there's a secret I missed. The puzzles are deemed pretty clever, though, once you figure out how to do them. And the music is pretty awesome, I'm not going to lie.

White Mountain Zone by Kuba11: 0/10(DQ)
It gets a 0 simply from there being no exit, therefore being unplayable. And I thought the level would be longer than that, it was looking pretty good.

Flower Cave Zone by Miles Knuckles Power: 3/10
Not a good emerald hunt level. Its openness made it too easy to find the emeralds. Try again!

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal: 2/10
Uh huh. I'm guessing speed runs by other players might have gone below 15 seconds? Yeah, too short of a single player level. Rush jobs are rushed.

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade: 8/10
My suggestion? Get to work on Acts 2 and 3 right away. If this level is any indication of what's to come, I'm sure we'll all be pleased.

Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan: 6/10
Well, this one's OK. The change of color is intriguing, the scenery's good, and pretty much everything's simple. Not much to make it stand out, but it's decent.

Stronghold Forest Zone Act 1 by KOTE: 7/10
It was pretty interesting, especially with the new Badnik. I would like to know how to get to the two Extra Life Monitors and that Sonic character behind bars, it looks like a clever secret.

Waterway Ruin Act 1 by Chrome: 8/10(DQ)
It's really too bad this one's disqualified, I thought this was one of the best levels in Single Player.

Single Player Overall:
Quite a few good SP levels this time around. Thompson's level would have definitely scored higher if there wasn't framerate lag all over the place.

Match

Ponies Suck by Fawfulfan: 6/10
One of the more decent joke levels. I thought the REDWALL was done on purpose, mainly because it's sort of a standard for joke levels. Meh, didn't hurt much. The level was good regardless.

Flux Satellite Zone by 742mph: 2/10
Yeesh, I'm not a fan of the reversing gravity in the middle of the level, especially since I'm a Tails player who keeps changing gravities whenever I fly too high. Also, it's bland and none of the objects are deffed. Keep trying, tho.

Southern Sands Zone by akb778: 7/10
I kinda liked this one, mainly for being clever with the rail rings when you had an open level to deal with. They definitely weren't out in the open, that's for sure.

Frozen Tundra Zone by Chaos Zero 64: 7/10
You were pretty clever not to def the emeralds so we had to find them in the snow. That especially makes the white emerald nearly invisible. I wasn't a fan of the snow that made you walk slow, however. Stay on your toes in that one!

Aries City Zone by Aries: 0/10
How can I rate something I can't access? Sorry.

Match Overall:
Lots of clever little tricks here, that's for sure.

(I'm just going to post scores for CTF and Race so they at least count for the contest. Feedback may or may not come later.)

Capture the Flag

Majestic Grove Zone by Scizor 300: 4/10

Mystical Heights Zone by Metal Fighter: 6/10

Frozen Pass Zone by Kuba11: 7/10

Sylvan Shrine Zone by Spherallic: 5/10

Circuit

Croissant Mountain Zone by DOOD64: 1/10

Frozen Hall by Metal Fighter: 7/10

And there we go! Let's see if my scores shake things up.

Last edited:
My voting on multiplayer:
Match:
Ponies Suck Zone: 6/10
I hate REDWALL.
Flux Satellite Zone: 1/10
Looks more like a CTF map.
Southern Sands Zone: 4/10
Not bad.
Frozen Tundra Zone: 3/10
I don't like this level so much.
Capture the Flag:
Majestic Grove Zone: 6/10
Good, i like it.
Mystical Heights Zone: 10/10
THIS LEVEL IS GREAT!
White Pass Zone: 5/10
This level is good...
Sylvan Shrines Zone: 3/10
I can't find red flag room, while i play as blue team. And while i play as red team, i can't find blue flag room.

Race:
Croissant Mountain Zone: 1/10
I hate this level.
Frozen Hall Zone: 3/10
No good.

Sylvan Shores Zone by Spherallic: 5/10
...how can you confuse 'Shrines' with 'Shores'? @_@

Sylvan Shrines Zone: 3/10
I can't find red flag room, while i play as blue team. And while i play as red team, i can't find blue flag room.
...something tells me you haven't looked around hard enough. :/
(don't mind me, I can get quite offensive when people give my maps unusually low scores for strange/stupid reasons)

This contest seems to be quite controversial regarding some levels...

Last edited:
Hricovskyfilip, we're all lazy, but here you abuse. "I like / I do not like," it really is not enough. Next time, think at least point out one thing that you loved or you did not like in a level.

Hricovskyfilip, we're all lazy, but here you abuse. "I like / I do not like," it really is not enough. Next time, think at least point out one thing that you loved or you did not like in a level.
That's preferable, but it's not necessary. As long as you vote for every entry in a gametype, it counts.

Single Player

Sparkling Icecap by Thompson: 10/10
Comments later bro.

White Mountain Zone by Kuja: N/A
D/Q

Flower Cave Zone by Miles Knuckles Power: 2/10
Large room with random sectors thrown in, is this meant to be fun?

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal: 4/10
MUCH better then your old levels Blah, but you still need to work on your layout. For one, the paths are sorta oddly placed at the start. I took the right and the upper path first off, I came back and found the left path by pure luck. I also am pretty sure the paths are unbalanced. I may replay the level and give a better review later.

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade: 10/10
While the level LOOKS good, I once got turned around in it because of the way you had the paths set up. And because of the texture you chose for the caves, it made me think it was a dead end so I turned around to find another way and found none. Anyways, the badniks are good, but I am sad the Snow Egg's hat doesn't animate when it fires a shot. Also, Winter Wrap Up ftw!

Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan: 7/10
Review comes later.

Stronghold Forest Zone Act 1 by KOTE: Mine/Not Your's
Well, I was a little hesitant to enter this level into this contest since there was already some pretty good mappers entering, but I went ahead and sent this in. I sorta rushed the Knuckles' path, seeing that the button doesn't sink inwards, since I was about to leave for camp the very next day. Have you guys found the 3 hidden characters yet, a hint for one of them is that you have to use a bouncy net to get to her.

Waterway Ruin Act 1 by Chrome: N/A
D/Q

Last edited:
Time for those multiplayer maps

Match

Ponies Suck Zone - 0/10
Okay, this map is truly a joke map. Someone actually bothered to bring their hatred and concentrate it into a map on the OLDC, just becaudse they dislike someone. Well, personal moments aside, this map is still very plain and bland, and the sky is literally bleeding as well. It's all so cramped in here, and the only fights are in the middle, which is a giant spamfest, and heading up to the upper levels is pretty well pintless, nobody is up there anyway.

Flux Satellite - 2/10
The concept is not too bad, it looks more like a CTF level, anyways, this map is quite small, its hard to move to other rooms, and I certainly got lost too, getting rings was a chore. I bet you if you concentrate rings into streams, make it bigger, and make it more features, and makew it longer, and easiuer to navigate, it will be the next CTF winner!

Southern Sands Zone - 2/10
I couldn't find all the weapons, and even then, the weapons were extremely hard to get. precision platforming + match = death. It's not a good combination. Make it easy for players to flow through the stage and collect things along the way, there are wide open spaces with nothing in them. The level was also quite bland and uninteresting, ans also very flat.

Frozen Tundra Zone - 2/10
Okay, people ask others to make their map more verttical, but this is WAY to vertical. Anyone with the rail can completely dominate it, and meanwhile the rail is a snap to grab anyway for some spawns at the top of the map. Someone could just stay at the top and rail everyone. Also, the emeralds are a pain to find, however the card and ring placements were quite flowing and interesting and kept players moving, that was the only thing I kinda liked about this bland and unappealing map.

CTF

Majestic Grove Zone - 7/10
Okay, this level was one of the most detailed in the multiplayer pack, you should be proud! But even so, detail isn't everything, it was a little hard to get place with the spring placement, IU remember using multiple springs to get somewhere. Multiple springs = bad in CTF. Also, theres not many ways to go in this map, which makes for an uninteresting gamne of CTF. This map looks pretty, but doesn't play very well.

Mystical Heights Zone - 8.5/10
It lagged a whee bit, but that didn't matter, it was worth it for the eyes! The level was pretty, and had various paths to walk through, the cards were interestingly placed, I won't be surprised if this becomes the CTF winner! The only thing I didn't like was the vulnerability to rail rings at times, but that's probably a map feature, given the map is a giant deathpit. But other than that, this was an incredibly amazing map! I wish you luck!

Frozen Pass Zone - 6/10
This is not a bad map, it actually played nicely, although it was filled with the same colour, and I was sometimes confused at which base I was in. The visuals are pretty, and I also spotted some redwall too. Yes, when you see a wall that is red, you must form a mob. I Do't have much to say about this one.

Sylvan Shrines Zone - 7.5/10
This was actually pretty looking! I enjoy it very much, but for some reason I don't know where to go, perhaps you could add a few arrows to help guide us to the flag? Because I got lost here, and being lots can cost you a point or two until you realize someone who knows the way, and follow them. This map has interesting places for object,s and lots of visual. It kind of lacks a few springs, that would help actually. And one single path through the middle isn't going to turn out well, I'm sure everyone will concentrate at the center, that center is a warzone, just like Lime Forest and a whole bunch of new players. Which doesn't really help players get somewhere. There must be some more difficult to navigate avoidance, like in Silver Cascade

Race maps sometime soon!

Mystical Heights Zone - 8.5/10
It lagged a whee bit, but that didn't matter, it was worth it for the eyes! The level was pretty, and had various paths to walk through, the cards were interestingly placed, I won't be surprised if this becomes the CTF winner! The only thing I didn't like was the vulnerability to rail rings at times, but that's probably a map feature, given the map is a giant deathpit. But other than that, this was an incredibly amazing map! I wish you luck.

I'd be very surprised if it did win the CTF division considering all the low votes it has been getting.

Kitoko, you can't give .5 scores. Either round them up or down to the nearest number. Also, 0 means unplayable. Are you sure Ponies Suck is actually unplayable?

If you don't choose to round them, we will automatically round them to the nearest whole number (in this case, up).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back