Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is utterly bizarre. I don't see this. But maybe that means it's fixed in the new version. Could you possibly post a video of the problem, so I can try to recreate your movement pattern exactly in a test? Meanwhile, if anyone reading this is a developer, do you have any theories as to what might be causing it?

EDIT: To see if this is a problem with v3.1 that got fixed in v4.0, I ran the level in v3.1 instead, and for good measure, on a different computer, too. I still haven't seen this problem. Anyone else notice it besides you two?

Last edited:
Don't mind the download, I would have uploaded this file to youtube with the unlisted video feature and just linked it here, but, I'm unable to create unlisted videos as I have a strike on my account for copyright infringement. So you'll just have to download.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/scuhqf

Here's a video of the route taken, and the point at which the game crashes. This happens every time I attempt to play through the level in Single Player or Cooperative mode.

Time Attack was used just so I didn't have to type in devmode, then the map map code, but that makes no difference in recreating the glitch.

The point at which the video freezes, is when the game crashed and gave me the error message.

Still don't see the glitch myself...I hope that means I've fixed it for the new version.

And speaking of which...it's available for download now!

Last edited:
Well, I'm gonna replay this pack all again. Just because.
However, I got a random sigsegv while jumping from the island at the start (with the shield and the 1-up) to the shore.

Well, I gave this thing a quick play through and here are my thoughts.

Sunshine Atoll Zone:
This is your every day beach level, nothing really interesting to say here, save that I found a HoM at one of the caves:
srb20110.png

Eruption Conduit Zone:
Okay, I like the new RVZ textures you are using, but the old grass texture needs to be changed. Also, you have a elemental shield right at the start followed by a air shield on a small cliff later on, I think you should swap the places of them. Also, some of the hallways could use a bit more detail.

Drowned Downtown Zone:
This level was okay, but you need more types of bricks, not just adding more stuff TO the bricks. Anyways, I see that you threw in RVZ's water wave, but made it more boring. I also noticed that you stole my idea for a over turned train car. But anyways, the level itself can get a bit dark in some places, like the start of act 2. But other then that the zone is okay, just noting interesting. Also, I like the sector based cones and stuff. :3

Snowcap Nimbus Zone:
N/A

Gritty Columns Zone:
N/A

Fume Shaft Zone:
N/A.... save for the fact you stole my badnik idea. :(

Liftoff Gantry Zone:
This level is okay, not much I find interesting because it mostly uses old gimmicks. Also, act 1 needs a new song for the first outside part. but yeah, not much to say about this level since I didn't play much of it.

Spacewalk Zone:
Ohay, it's a hopping level! Anyways, not much interesting stuff in this level, save with the invincibility laser thing, even though it's just a fancy way at giving them a invicnibility... Anyways I didn't play much of this zone so I don't have much to say about it, save for the fact that I wonder if I'm the only one who likes the song for this level... >.>'

Star Showdown Zone:
loleggrockact3remake. That sums it up, nothing interesting at all about it. :<
---------------------------------------

Over all, you got some okay ideas, but most of the gimmicks are ones from other levels, be creative with your ideas, I know you could do better. Try sitting down some time and writing out a page with gimmicks that you come up with by yourself, I am doing that with Eggmansion Zone act 2. But anyways, keep up the good work, but one last thing. Either redo the match levels or just remove them, all of them are pretty much unfixable IMO. :<

I saw 2 problem in this version.

1. I got a random sigsegv while jumping from the island at the start ( the 1 with the shield and the 1-up) to the shore like Spherallic said.

2. In SZ boss, the grav change doesnt work well. (the player just flips side but the gravity doesnt change.

Other than that, still an awsome level pack getting better and better.

Where is the new Spacewalk, please?
There are one or two room changes and new gimmicks in both acts, particularly Act 2. It's pretty minor compared to the size of the level, but it's a very long and arduous process.

All right, on an unrelated note, I fixed the HOM in SAZ1. Thanks for pointing that out, KO.T.E.

Last edited:
I don't know whether this has been fixed or not (as I have not played the most recent version yet,) but:

Attachments

• srb20023.jpg
    srb20023.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 319
I'm starting to get the bad feeling it may be something about my computer, or my gameplay, or something, but I'm still getting the same error. At a certain point in Alien Armageddon Zone 2, SRB2 crashes on me. Not a sigsev, just a Windows "srb2win.exe has encountered an error and needs to close".

I don't have a video, since I don't have any video capturing programs, but I have been able to pinpoint the location where it always crashes.

LINK

The red rectangle is the crash location.

Well, I've played that part many times, and I've never seen that happen, ever. I apologize, but there really isn't anything I can do about it. You might, however, try skipping that section using Tails's flying or Knuckles's gliding to get over the right wall.

Heh... I'm forced to assume that my computer just doesn't like this level pack or something. I can't think of any other explanation.

Your suggestion of going over the wall worked, and I was able to complete the rest of the level. However, I found something new. Halfway through the final boss, the waypoints disappeared. The boss made the motions to jump, then the console would spit out "BlackEggman unable to find waypoint #1!", "BlackEggman unable to find waypoint #3!", etc. When the middle platform crumbled away, it just fell into the lava, where it proceeded to stomp around, fire cannonballs at me, stomp around some more, and suddenly keel over dead.

Probably my fault, somehow.

EDIT: Wait. Looked at it in Doom Builder. The waypoint flags are messed up.

Last edited:
SpaceKGreen, that's the same spot as Whackjood's video.

I think it has something to do with the many sectors in that castle (as seen with SRB2DB) and all of those cannonballs causing, like processor overload. My SRB2 never sigsevs either, no matter what the error is, it just gives me the error message. I always report it just to tick off Microsoft over some error they'll have no idea how to fix! =)

Yes, I am evil.

Anyway, I have not been able to download this since Chrome keeps getting stuck calculating file size, normally around the 3.0 MB marker. It never goes past. It's stuck right now, but am typing and such unable to cancel it.

...Canceled. My second try today...

Well, since I really can't fix that error (and since only a few computers actually seem to be experience it), I will repeat the advice I gave SpaceKGreen: If that area is giving you trouble, use Tails or Knuckles to climb the right wall and skip it. I wish I could do more to help you guys on this error, but as I have no clue what's actually causing it I don't think I can eliminate it.

Hey, found a sneaky game crash here.

srb20014p.png

Just going through Fume Shaft Zone 2, came to this fan near the beginning of the level, I jump towards the fan as you need to go over it, I went between the fan blades and the rim, and all of a sudden my screen goes black. After a few seconds...

"srb2win.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience."

Yea... no sigsegv or anything, just that message. *Is forced to go back through Fume Shaft Zone 1.*

Heck, there isn't even a errorlog about it.

Last edited:
It just so happens that I discovered that problem on my own, too. And I've solved the problem in a devilishly simple way: removing the PolyObject fan entirely. It crashes the game, it's a blatant ripoff of ERZ2, and it looks out of place anyway. Not worth the headache. Now there's just a lower level and a row of springs instead.

So, yeah, v5.0 won't have that problem.

So I took a run through Drowned Downtown in this version and I was awestruck at the harbor. I really like the fact you added those ships (yachts?). Maybe they aren't the best looking, but I've never seen anything like them before in SRB2 and I'm giving you props for this. The derailed train worked its way into the level well too. I'm glad to say you've managed to have outdone yourself in terms of recreating DDZ and set an example for what ruined city themed levels should look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back