SRB2 Riders 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

jEDRM7i.png

Not much more can be said by the thread topic alone. SRB2 Riders is being ported to 2.1, but in a more simplistic way. This version of SRB2 Riders requires no EXE, which means all of this works straight through Vanilla SRB2.

Unlike the Original, and because of actual development, there will be no kart mode for this. Instead, there are 2 types of levels: Rider and Foot-racing. If the stage is a Rider/Kart stage, the characters will ride on their hoverboards, if anything else, it will be a regular Foot-racing stage.

M1tCnW0.gif

Here's how the controls will work for the Riders:

When you start moving fast, your board speed will be locked once you're on your board, you cannot go backwards or slow down, unless you've been hit, stopped yourself on a wall, or etc.

Jump - Jump
Spin - Boost
Strafe - Drifting

iwtQF5m.gif

For drifting, while its really hard to replicate both Sonic Riders and SRB2 Riders, something that worked was used. Despite overall turning being more powerful, you can drift by holding the strafe keys around a corner and releasing them at the end will give you a momentary boost faster than your actual board speed.

There are shields in this mod as well, but more than one, they will only last 10 seconds:

Attraction Shield: Attracts rings

Whirlwind Shield: Allows extra jump and restores air every half a second (also does the same in zoom tubes)

Pity Shield: Protects the player from damage

Force Shield: Protects the player from two hits for 20 seconds

Invincibility: Surrounds the player in an orb and increases the board speed (like Mario Kart)

Speed Shoes: Speeds the player even faster than invincibility!

This mod is actually a Delta, as there are still some features I feel need to be in before making it the final release.

Let's cut the chase already.

A launcher has been included to launch the mod with any of the 9/12 characters you choose.

ENTER Version 2.51

Fixed MS' placement in Battleship Halberd

Added springs to a fly ramp in Sky Road

Boost features have been modified, you will no longer be "invincible" when boosting

Drifting features have been modified, instead of drifting forever till you let go to lose air, you will lose a lot air as you drift.

Patch 2.51.1
Fixed Dusty Dune's awful checkpoint design and MS has been re-recorded.

ENTER Version 2.52

Slopes.

Slopes.

Oh, and more Slopes.

The icons to tell what type of level you're in can now change colors adjacent to your color.

ENTER Patch 2.52.1

Fixed few of oversights related to HUD, MS recordings, and level pictures.

Patch 2.52.2

Very small but useful changes to the levels. Pity shield graphics have been updated.

Whaddaya want from me? I'm a very simple guy @_@

ENTER Patch 2.52.3

Attempted to added slopes in the Footracing levels, 2 levels were successful. City Heat, and Sunset Gardens.

Blaze's Player Icon now fully changes color.

The latest version of the Riders Launcher has been added.

CTF Levels have been restored.

ENTER Patch 2.52.4

Minor level fixes and optimizations

The player's boost and invincibility will no longer kill the opponent (foreshadowing :3)

ENTER Patch 2.52.5 Match Beta

Added Block Fort by Kitoko/Hinote (Cause perms are free)

Minor level and lua script updates

EMERGENCY Patch 2.52.5.1

Fixed a bug where you wouldn't be on foot in footracing stages.

Switched Babylon Garden to it's laggy 2.0 version due to unknown crashing in the latest version.

Fixed a bug where the level type Icon didn't show

Minor level adjustments

ENTER Patch 2.52.6 The Verification Update

Introducing a new checkpoint system from old!
1ywRgcE.gif

Omochao now lets you know when Metal Sonic/Jet/Eggman(Rival) Speed up

Slight level updates and script optimizations

Next Update: 2.53 (The Airboard Update)

Featuring Old Riders turning (giving the drift a use!)

A RACE_HUD.wad lua for riders has been added as an optional lua to use with the mod. Approved by Tamkis.

Credits to:
MotdSpork(Character lua)
Lat'(Air meter)
HitCoder(HitKid61)(PhysAttk modified for this mod, over haul to clean up lua, Riders Launcher)
Tamkis(Assistance with his RACE_HUD.wad)
Somel(Character Startup sounds)
Super Chris(If he's anywhere on the MB)(Provided levels)
Chaos Zero 64(Permission, original sprites, assets)

FAQ (Future Asked Questions)

Q: Where are the Fly Hoops?

A: These we're removed mostly because the gimmick itself isn't easy to replicate.

Q: Where are the trick ramps?

A: Removed for the same reason as before.

Q: How come everyone can grind on the grind rails?

A: The grind rails are now speed pads, since the original grind rails can't really be brought back

Q: Will kart mode be in any time soon?

A: No. Kart Krew will be making their version, and it will be much better than what I have.

Q: Ew, why Omochao?

A: I thought about the original Riders and how the announcer, who was Omochao was constantly talking during the race. He's not verbally speaking in this one, but he'd be a way to announce the racer's status.

Q: Why didn't you just put this in Submissions?

A: To be honest, I was waiting for some friends of mine (or someone else) to create a launcher made specifically for this mod. But for now, the .bat launchers will do.

Q: Why is there a space countdown timer?

A: I originally wanted to make this mod playable in SP as well, sadly I stopped working on it once I realized two things: 1: The Metal Sonic racer had to have his laps tracked. 2: A lap system would have to be made for SP as well... I uh, never got up to that.

If anyone wants to submit an Airboard type of level, you can PM me for help on setting up the map for submissions. If you are trying to submit a Foot Racing map to the mod, DON'T. Put it in submissions as a normal racing map. Do NOT use this mod as a way to get past submissions, if it's been rejected, do not approach me with your rejected map.

If you are having camera glitches with the mouse, please refrain from using it until further notice.

Mirror Download

Attachments

• SRB2Riders2.1.rar
    31.2 MB · Views: 17,187
  • ridersmaincfg.rar
    1.5 KB · Views: 9,163
Last edited:
While SRB2 Riders does show its age, it was a really cool mod at the time and would have benefited massively from lua and the removal of MAXMOVE. It's nice to have at least a semi-functional version of it still kicking around.

I am so, so sorry that it took this long for this pack to be released. Welcome to Releases.

Welcome back :), I Really like the design of the levels, it feels just like the Real Sonic Riders .

It would be awesome if Lua written bots existed. One thing I really liked about the original Riders mod was that I could play it offline or online, thanks to ChaosZero implementing JTE bots for single player. That was especially handy for Kart Mode, but I think it's part of a totally different Lua mod now, so the lack of it is no loss here.

This is still the one thing for SRB2 I never regretted investing my time in. (Tons of animations for Blaze and Rouge, although it's not worth crediting me when it'd be an impossible effort to equally credit everyone else that made sprites for SRB2 Riders.) It's an awesome expansion of SRB2, and I'm happy it's still alive in some form; Lord knows this was an undertaking to rewrite the code in Lua.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes from here! Will future updates simply be bugfixes and/or feature restorations? (Either is fine.)

Well, yes, you could replace the default Bot code with LUA... BotAI/BotTiccmd hook?

I think I totally forgot 2.1 has some AI code already. (With the Sonic and Tails option existing; haven't played SRB2 in almost a year.) It'd be possible to get that working in Riders with a little Lua, wouldn't it?

It would be awesome if Lua written bots existed. One thing I really liked about the original Riders mod was that I could play it offline or online, thanks to ChaosZero implementing JTE bots for single player. That was especially handy for Kart Mode, but I think it's part of a totally different Lua mod now, so the lack of it is no loss here.

This is still the one thing for SRB2 I never regretted investing my time in. (Tons of animations for Blaze and Rouge, although it's not worth crediting me when it'd be an impossible effort to equally credit everyone else that made sprites for SRB2 Riders.) It's an awesome expansion of SRB2, and I'm happy it's still alive in some form; Lord knows this was an undertaking to rewrite the code in Lua.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes from here! Will future updates simply be bugfixes and/or feature restorations? (Either is fine.)
Actually, while this was in submissions, I thought about having Xkower's NPCs become racers, but since I had to rewrite the whole code, add new soc, and do so much hair-tearing testing. I didn't bother, I'd more or less see what the community as a whole will do about making bots though, because making multiple NPCs as opponents is very tedious to do with SRB2's lua capabilities.

As for updating, I will only take at least 5 bug reports per update. My enthusiasm for this Mod causes me to update the mod almost 5 times a day, which was inconsistent and unhealthy for my friends/testers. If there is anything newly implemented, I'll let everyone know about it before making an official update.

Last edited:
Well, the Babylon Garden, and the Sky Road levels gave me a few bits of trouble, along with Dusty Dunes.

Babylon Garden i boosted through the lower path where the finish line should be, apparently passed by the trigger that would have got me onto the next lap, although that seems to happen occasionally in other levels.

At Sky Road, i thought that the ramp next to the grind rail and the power thing would have blue springs, it didn't, and i fell to my death, and i only figured out you could jump during one of the Mario levels, hats off to me.

Dusty Dunes has a checkpoint right after you get off the rock, and are quite likely to pass by it, atleast when you have such a racing strategy where you give zero darns about the emissions and boost everywhere, and when you get the second chance to notice that you bypassed that checkpoint, you're already too low to be able to go back up, and are forced to do another lap just to get to what was supposed to be your next lap a lap ago.

And a minor one but at the Halberd level, Metal Sonic is quite clearly below the track. Whoops.

But yeah, aside from those moments, the experience seemed fluent, even though the first part of the Mario levels would seem to be a case of "Whoever gets the Attraction Shield first wins", while DK Caverns, the Halberd level, and probably some other level i forgot, go the other direction and only allow you to obtain rings via item capsules, which, more often than not, will give you shields, and occasionally air instead of them.

Now, wonder how/if the Survival Mode could be swapped/integrated into Match, even though it'd probably be tedious to Lua, if it is even possible to Lua it in...

The Riders automatically break in match/CTF because of spectator mode. A battle mode would sound nice though. But I need to figure out a special concept other than boosting into someone to win.

I'll be honest, the Mario Kart levels are awfully dated. MS can't even play in some of the maps because teleporters and boost pads glitch him away from the track. As for the Halberd, MS' spawn point might be below the stage. It's also the easiest stage to win because the Riders can jump at will, they aren't as limited compared to Karts.

Sky Road... Well, on the account of my laziness of checking that problem. It is how it is, I'll have it fixed by the next official update.

This being said. The checkpoints fix, Metal Sonic's misplacement, and Sky Road's missing asset will be worked on for the next update.

Nice mod Man :D your crew have done a good job,but, theres a simple glitch,i played it, I select a character, and then select the sonic character stays still , and when I do walk, the frame is left to stand , but when they run, now changes the character I wanted, idk if you understand me, im new on this language :D (im new on this page)

I understand you perfectly, and that glitch at the moment... Is unfixable. MotdSpork made the original soc, and I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do about it. If any SOCers could volunteer to figure this out, I'm sure to find an answer and a fix for it.

Okay! Now that I can work on the mod, I fixed the spring problem in Sky Road and fixed MS' placement in Battleship Halberd, as for the checkpoints... If anyone feels like it, would they mind listing every level they easily missed checkpoints in?

EDIT: Instead of downloading the original download on the OP, use the updater on the SRB2 Riders Launcher.

ENTER Version 2.51

CHANGELOG

Fixed MS' placement in Battleship Halberd

Added springs to a fly ramp in Sky Road

Boost features have been modified, you will no longer be "invincible" when boosting

Drifting features have been modified, instead of drifting forever till you let go to lose air, you will lose a lot air as you drift.

Last edited:
(Heh, been some time since I have visited SRB2.org, darn college.)

Glad to hear you implemented the Race_Wad assets (for player and Metal Sonic lap tracking) into SRB2 Riders 2.1, and congratulations on the release! The port was looking promising and fun during private testing of those features online, and I'll be sure to play this release by the end of this month to give proper C&CC.

Hmm: would you happen to have a collection of the Nights sprites? I might be able to throw together a quick script to allow nights character swaps. Then again, you could probably do that too.

I'm don't think changing NIGHTS sprites is a local thing, maybe you'll have to ask a dev like Rob (who enjoys SRB2's NIGHTS content) to see if its possible. I'm open to anything anyone wants to submit for the official Riders Mod release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back