Four 2.1 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Mystic on 04-01-2012 08:33 AM.

It’s been a while since we posted any information about 2.1′s progress on the front page, so here’s some random tidbits from the development team:

The shield graphics are finally getting a revamp in 2.1, with a unique image for each shield. This means it’ll be possible to figure out what shield you have in a colormap, as well as in the dark. They also just look awesome, as this screenshot of the Armageddon Shield demonstrates.

Emblems are also getting a dramatic revamp, as this heavily beta screenshot sorta demonstrates. While we won’t provide accurate details of what the new system entails, the player will no longer have to worry about coming across an emblem that they cannot collect. You can now taste the emblem rainbow.

Record Attack now allows you to race against ghosts of your previous replays. The game automatically saves a replay of your fastest time, highest score, and most rings, as well as your most recent attempt at the stage. While playing, it shows all of these replays at once as ghosts, allowing you to directly race your best attempts. You can also race against a guest replay to try your luck against a friend’s best time.

SRB2 now supports LUA scripting. LUA is a scripting language which allows you to modify SRB2 with far more flexibility than SOCs, allowing you to change tons of stuff that previously required a custom EXE. As an example, here is a screenshot of creator.wad, a test WAD for the feature. Creator.wad is a competitive map played in the Coop gametype where a random player is selected to pilot the Eggmobile to design his own GFZ3 arena layout, and then fight the rest of the players in it. The player piloting the Eggmobile has access to all of its normal attacks and movement abilities, and takes eight hits just like the real thing.As with all of the previous updates, the exact details may change in the future, and in fact in a few of these cases these screenshots are already outdated. These features are all functional in the current beta, although they aren’t all fully complete.
More...

Moderator Notice:
To avoid confusion: Despite the update being posted on April Fools' Day, all of those updates are real. -SpiritCrusher

Last edited by a moderator:
A more efficient way to modify Srb2? A more sexy looking Armageddon shield and Ghosts to race against? Plus an emblem revamp? Man I am really excited now. I am pretty interested in that LUA scripting thing you mentioned. I hope the upcoming version doesn't take another year to be released.

Oh come on! All of those screenshots are so obviously fake, I'm not even gonna play along.

Pfft, ghosts in SRB2. As if that were possible!

Oh come on! All of those screenshots are so obviously fake, I'm not even gonna play along.

Pfft, ghosts in SRB2. As if that were possible!

I truly think you need to give this a chance SpiritCrusher.

From the pics above they look promising and look very well real from the looks of it.

Also I been hearing talk about this Ghost thing in this game for a while now so I think this can be very well real.

First at TSSZ News: Mystic misses the point of April Fools and posts a genuine update. Everybody was pleased.

Um, 1st April. The day where fake things can appear (I saw 3 update previews on 4 games that I saw today.). I can accept the shield modification and the ghosts, but a rainbow of emblems for each level, but especially... the ability to edit a MAP, in game, and control Eggman, because of a new language added sounds too much fake for me.

...the ability to edit a MAP, in game, and control Eggman, because of a new language added sounds too much fake for me.

LUA Scripts have been done before in SRB2 if I remember correctly, so it isn't impossible.

This update is confusing me, since this actually seems plausible (except for the emblems, that seems a bit excessive).

Not sure if trolling for April 1st or not.

Anywho, I kind of like the idea of LUA compatibility.

Man, that new shield design looks awesome! And it's nice to see actual screenshots of the new Record Attack in action. I hope the LUA scripting idea is real, 'cause the supposed fact that you can edit maps in-game would be a very nice addition. However, I am a bit dubious of the new emblem system... I mean, the "rainbow of emblems"? Especially since specifics and whatnot haven't been revealed yet... That and it is April Fools' Day, so any or all of this could be fake...

Yeah, I'm confused too. I'm betting part of it (particularly the emblems) is the April Fools joke. While the rest of it may be completely legitimate.

I can accept the shield modification and the ghosts, but a rainbow of emblems for each level [...] sounds too much fake for me.

This update is confusing me, since this actually seems plausible (except for the emblems, that seems a bit excessive).

However, I am a bit dubious of the new emblem system... I mean, the "rainbow of emblems"?

I'm betting part of it (particularly the emblems) is the April Fools joke.

To spawn even more confusion, I give you an #srb2fun log dated March 13th:

[18:48] <Mystic> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3518218/21/skittles2.png - Reposting this image for the lulz
[18:48] <MrMystery> ahaha
[18:48] <Kimmachinima> Ohohohahahahaha what Mystic
[18:48] <MrMystery> what's with the colors, though :p
[18:48] <Mystic> We've posted that before. Multiple times =P
[18:49] <Kimmachinima> Never seen that before
[18:49] <Kimmachinima> And I can barely guess
[18:49] <MrMystery> unless eggman's diabolical plot now involves hoarding colored fruit candy
[18:49] <Kimmachinima> Seriously tell me or I'll go crazy
[18:49] <Mystic> I'm not going to tell you anything useful
[18:50] <Mystic> Except that the far right column is time attack
[18:50] <JMS> So, I guess the colors are for new characters?
[18:50] <Mystic> (hence why it's on boss acts, too)
[18:50] <Whackjood> You will never find out, ever.
[18:50] <Kimmachinima> Of course
[18:50] <MrMystery> ah, I figured
[18:50] <JMS> As in, blue for Sonic, Yellow for Tails, Green for Robo-hood.
[18:50] <Mystic> Meaning that the issue you guys are having is removed because you get an emblem per stage, so you won't have to worry about ERZ2 fucking your total time
[...]
[19:48] <Mystic> <MonsterIestyn> Where does the character emblems fit in - I'll give you a basic hint: they don't
[19:48] <MonsterIestyn> Oh?
[19:49] <Whackjood> Oh-hoh, intriguing
[19:49] <Zipper> :O
[19:49] <Mystic> This is the main reason why the new system is infinitely less grindy. Character is your choice for all of them
[19:49] <RedEnchilada> so they're all just multicolored collectibles? :(
[19:49] <Whackjood> Neato
[19:49] <MonsterIestyn> So wait
[19:49] <MonsterIestyn> Are character emblems still possible
[19:50] <MonsterIestyn> For custom maps
[19:50] <Mystic> yes, you can make them in custom MAINCFG setups
[19:50] <Mystic> but there aren't any in SRB2 proper

Oh, spare me~ The emblems thing was already shown at 'fun, and I truly trust it's fake. There wouldn't be any reason for colored ones. Well, as of the others, they seem trustable, but I still don't give much of my confidence.

I don't care much about the authenticity of the first two updates, and the third one is most likely real because of how long we've known about it, but that fourth one... It would be the best update to SRB2 EVER. It would increase the game's customizability tenfold, allowing for better and more complex mods than ever before. If it's fake, I would be very disappointed, but at least SOCs would still be around.

I hope the shields and the Ghost in time trial are real updates. LUA sounds too good to be true though...

I see at least three separate layers in that shield. The opaque ring things along the front, the transparent shockwave bubble thing in the middle, and I think I see the backs of the rings going BEHIND the player too... I could make a mockup that does that, but we've never had something like that actually in the game.

Just pointing that out, not saying it is fake.

I see at least three separate layers in that shield. The opaque ring things along the front, the transparent shockwave bubble thing in the middle, and I think I see the backs of the rings going BEHIND the player too... I could make a mockup that does that, but we've never had something like that actually in the game.

Just pointing that out, not saying it is fake.

If you were to make it out of multiple things, and use a custom transtable you might be able to get that effect. Seems like a lot of work though- and it'd probably be buggy with the Software renderer- unless that's been revamped too!

The emblem thing is descibed vaguely enough that it could go either way, and ghosts in SRB2 aren't particularly far-fetched.

On the subject of LUA, well, that one's a bit trickier. I recall JTE did some experiments with LUA in SRB2 a while back, so it's not that far fetched. The specific example described though- altering sector boundaries in realtime- is pretty unbelievable though.

The names of the images on srb2.org are "http://www.srb2.org/wp-content/uploads/afdXX.png", XX being 00 to 03.

I can't believe you're all actually THAT gullible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back