Even More 2.1 Preview Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Mystic on 04-02-2013 05:03 AM.

Since last month’s update didn’t have enough space for post everything we wanted to show off, here’s a bunch more 2.1 screenshots. As with all previous updates, everything here is subject to change before release.

The escape key menu has been dramatically changed, providing something closer to a pause menu than the old behavior of bringing up the title screen menu. The emblem checklist for the current stage and some unlockable options are also displayed here, making it less important to go all the way to the statistics screen to look up what’s missing.

The rotational chain launcher gimmick in CEZ has been streamlined. None of them allow you to change their facing direction, and all of them are large enough that just standing underneath their block will cause the player to grab it. Jumping is no longer necessary to grab hold. The chain swing gimmick has been removed from the stage entirely.

The special stage tally screen now gives you a link bonus equal to 100 times your max link in the special stage, and also gives you a continue if you obtained fifty thousand points in the special stage itself.

We’ve made some changes to make debugging custom objects a little easier: SOC warnings given when adding a file are now accompanied by line numbers allowing you to instantly find the issues in question. Additionally, unknown things and mobjs that try to use invalid or nonexistant sprites now appear as a warning symbol, as shown in this screenshot of a work in progress Azure Temple.

Another new addition is NiGHTS mode, which is essentially Record Attack for NiGHTS stages. Like record attack, it gives you the ability to replay any special stage you’ve already completed in an attempt to get a high score or best time, hopefully beating the requirement for an emblem. Obviously, we haven’t gotten around to making map screenshots for the special stages yet, hence the black ? box.

The new emblem system is now fully implemented and ready to go. The exploration emblems have card suits and the star, while the other emblem types have special icons to themselves. Each emblem type also has a different color to help differentiate them.

Finally, if you’re looking for more 2.1 information, most of what gets previewed in IRC is meticulously documented on the Version 2.1 page on the Wiki.
More...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the "new" (or rather, yet another step towards transforming SRB2 into XSRB2 :P) pause menu, but I do have to wonder why it only displays "best time attack" and not also "best score attack" and "best ring attack".

Also, on the Statistics screen the emblem counter now displays a blue star emblem, even though that combination doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited:
That whirlwind shield looks... weird. Oh well, I'll probably like it better than the colored orbs we have now. Also, lovin' that special stage tally screen, and menu. (Emblem hints will probably help a lot)

That's cool that we can get continues now. Will there be a another way to get continues in later versions like a Continue Box?

I'm kind of curious, why the kanji for points? 点 o.o
Do you have to obtain a certain amount of points before you can get that emblem?
Which then might mean that for the hourglass you need to reach a certain time in a stage to get the emblem.
And perhaps for the circle, a certain number of rings?

EDIT: Oh, I read the description, so it probably is like that. I'd assume you chose the kanji because it fits with the "picture rather than text theme", but it seems a little unfitting. Can't really think of anything else to symbolize points in picture form just yet though...

Last edited:
I just assumed the 点 was a Touhou reference, since that's what's on the score blocks in those games.

I'm more curious on what that first emblem for Special Stages is.

Wow!

Nice progress you've done here, guys! I find the new emblem system and the THZ slime pretty enjoyable, and I'm eager to play those NiGHTS stages as well!
By the way, can someone post all of the new shield graphics, animated or not? I can't seem to guess some from these pictures.

So are you guys only waiting on the net code. Seems like the only thing you need to do besides little things, such ad map pictures? 2.1 looks ready to me, unless there is other stuff you want to do???

This looks amazing

Those screenshots just look amazing. I can't wait to see what I can do with all this new stuff. Also
By the way, can someone post all of the new shield graphics, animated or not? I can't seem to guess some from these pictures.
I couldn't find all of them but I found some, here they are.
Monitors.png

ArmageddonShield2.1.gif

mar13b.png

apr13b.png

mar13c.png

Oh, I read the description, so it probably is like that. I'd assume you chose the kanji because it fits with the "picture rather than text theme", but it seems a little unfitting. Can't really think of anything else to symbolize points in picture form just yet though...
Coming up with an icon that fits in 12x12 pixels and means "score" is very, very hard, hence using the kanji.

With all the shield graphics updates, I hope there's an update to the graphics of the invincibility sparkles. You can hardly see them in the FPS game modes and in single player they look way too boring and minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back