SRB2 Doom Builder 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalaron

2r59tts.png

Yup.

MAP EDITOR WITH SRB2(CB) & 3D SLOPE EDITING SUPPORT and MORE:

This is a mod of Code Imp's Doom Builder 2 project
(For more information, see: http://www.doombuilder.com/ )

-------

Doom Builder 2 has now been modded with extended support for SRB2+(CB).
The major advantage of this new editor is its stability and support for better real time 3D editing (including Slopes!)

Changes from original Doom Builder 2:

• You can change the Z height of objects
  • SRB2's FOFs can be edited in 3D mode WITH TRANSPARENCY IN 3D
  • Higher distance limit for the 3D editor(since many SRB2 maps can be quite large)
  • Support for SRB2CB's slopes (including new "Copy Slope by Linedef" effect)

A configuration file for SRB2CB has been included with this release, it should work with both default SRB2 and SRB2CB.

There's a ton of new features that come with the editor itself:

• Organized lists of textures (So that when adding multiple textures, you can sort through them by file, also support for SRB2CB's TX_START is built right in!)
  • You don't have to finish drawing redundant lines when making sectors that share lines from other sectors - Just press enter when the lines you're drawing can make up a full sector(more description later)
  • Better support for external resources
  • Sort by sector darkness
  • Much more!

----

Some features that SRB2 Doom Builder 1 had may be missing from this release, but for most purposes, this is a stable, usable release.

-----

Download & Setup:

1)
Download the required dependency files for this to run (NOTE: This is only required if you've never installed Doom Builder 2 before):
http://www.mediafire.com/?w1yjq1jo311h3o8

Extract and install both exes inside the zip

---

2)

Download the actual map editor:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9jco5nj3tni38n0

Extract the map editor to a folder and it should run anywhere you want to keep it.

-----

3) Setup the game configuration for SRB2CB

Add the resource files

Go to Tools->Game Configurations

A window will pop up

Select SRB2CB from the list on the left

Click on Add Resource - A window will pop up

Under From Wad File, select the folder icon and find your SRB2 folder

add srb2.srb to the list

NOTE: You can add any other file you want to load with every map (like SRB2CB.dta for example)

Enable the FOFs and Slopes

To enable 3D mode, under the same window you added SRB2's resources, select the "Modes" tab

Make sure "GZDoom Visual Mode" is ENABLED (it's near the top of the list) and "Visual Mode" is DISABLED (it's at the bottom of the list)

------

Other Stuff:

Source Code (Not required to run the program)
http://www.mediafire.com/?bfx5nfx14adx132

Suggestions are welcome

-------

MORE TIPS:
  • When you select multiple sectors in the 3D map editor, you can actually edit the height of multiple sectors at the same time!

So you can, for example, select multiple sectors that make up some stairs, and make them all of the selected sectors scroll up and down in the right proportion. This can seriously save a lot of time when making a map!
  • There's an undo/redo panel on the right side of the map editor, mouse over to get a detailed list of everything you changed in a map - all the way back to when the file was last opened!
  • You can copy-paste parts of other maps into each other just like before - And it even supports copy-pasting between different map formats (could be handy if something like UDMF comes around
  • Hold shift when drawing a line or move something to unsnap from the grid
  • You can customize the grid size and zoom level in the lower right hand corner of the map editor

You actually can do rotations and flipping like the old SRB2DB1, but this is actually MORE powerful:

1. Select any object or group of objects - a sector, a linedef, or a group of map objects, or any combination.
  2. Press E - A box will appear around your selection allowing you to move or transform anything selected.
  3. A new panel will appear on the right of the map editor window called "Edit Selection" - mouse over this panel to show options to rotate, and scale the selection - You have an option for both horizontal and vertical scaling as well now!

More pictures should be added to this topic or a wiki page should be made to make these descriptions clearer

-----

Happy Modding!

Last edited:
Nice work! I absoulutly love it. You can see the things now. Thanks dude. BTW, shouldn't this be a sticky so everyone can see this?

EDIT: Hmmmm. Mabye before I look at a picture and judge how good it'll be, I should probably make sure it works huh? Well I did and I downloaded both files (source code and the exe) I double clicked on Builder.exe and I got an error message. Then I clicked on the other exe that came with it. I had the same problem like Charybdizs had.

Last edited:
Proper saving of SRB2's map thing data
Does... This mean that it won't reset Thing heights when you make them too high?

In other news, it must be buggy. I tried opening it, and got the "Doom Builder has encountered a problem and needs to close" problem. Don't know what I can do about that. :/

Does... This mean that it won't reset Thing heights when you make them too high?

Actually, that's SRB2's limitation with how it defines thing heights - I meant that the new SRB2DB 2 can read & write SRB2's Z Position data - which the original one couldn't

In other news, it must be buggy. I tried opening it, and got the "Doom Builder has encountered a problem and needs to close" problem. Don't know what I can do about that. :/

I've tested it on at least 2 other systems and it seems to work, maybe you need to update your .NET framework? http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21

However, if you CAN run the official Doom Builder 2, but can't run this, then I need to check what the problem is

Check the official Doom Builder website & make sure your .NET framework is up to date - If you already can use Doom Builder 2 - post your system specs and OS

Last edited:
This is god damn amazing. Thank you for making this. DB2 has been needing a redo for SRB2 mode and you've done it, thank you. I'll try it out later since this is a silly school computer.

This is god damn amazing. Thank you for making this. DB2 has been needing a redo for SRB2 mode and you've done it, thank you. I'll try it out later since this is a silly school computer.

You're absolutely welcome :)

-----

I found the problem - the build isn't bugged, you need to install some stuff this level editor requires first:

For anyone who has trouble running this: If you've never installed Doom Builder 2 before: run BOTH of the setups inside this zip folder:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1yjq1jo311h3o8

Just extract the zip folder and run both exe's before running SRB2DB2.

Last edited:
Heh. Seems you found the problem right as I did. After I installed DB2 to check if it would work, 2.0 here worked fine. Now to check this out. I've never used Doom Builder 2, so this is all new to me.

To setup the game configuration for SRB2CB

Add the resource files

Go to Tools->Game Configurations

A window will pop up

Select SRB2CB from the list on the left

Click on Add Resource - A window will pop up

Under From Wad File, select the folder icon and find your SRB2 folder

add srb2.srb to the list

NOTE: You can add any other file you want to load with every map (like SRB2CB.dta for example)

------

IMPORTANT: Enable the FOFs and Slopes

To enable 3D mode, under the same window you added SRB2's resources, select the "Modes" tab

Make sure "GZDoom Visual Mode" is ENABLED (it's near the top of the list) and "Visual Mode" is DISABLED (it's at the bottom of the list)

Heh. Seems you found the problem right as I did. After I installed DB2 to check if it would work, 2.0 here worked fine. Now to check this out. I've never used Doom Builder 2, so this is all new to me.
I have.....but not with a SRB2 engine. Now, it works. Its beautiful. I can see everything again like I used to back in Doom Builder.

Two things:

• Why is there no configuration for vanilla SRB2?
  • I'm not exactly thrilled that this is hosted on a free file host. It looks like something we'd want to make sure is always available.

Also, we need the Switch Map command. I don't want to have to reopen a file every time I want to work on a different map.

But yeah, this is a great first step. I've always wanted to see SRB2DB2.

Last edited:
Another thing: You should and that the "four boxes for sector types" functionality that SRB2DB has. It's kinda annoying to have to calculate the value for combined sector types yourself.

EDIT: Okay, ignore this. It's actually possible if you find the right window.

Last edited:
SpiritCrusher said:
Why is there no configuration for vanilla SRB2?

A configuration file for SRB2CB has been included with this release, it should work with both default SRB2 and SRB2CB.

There's actually no conflicts with regular SRB2 - just additions, I think another user made a plain config file for default SRB2 a while ago - you can use that version if you need to

It looks like something we'd want to make sure is always available.

Sure

Last edited:
There's actually no conflicts with regular SRB2 - just additions
Sure, but it will confuse people who map for vanilla SRB2 and might not even know about SRB2CB.

I think another user made a plain config file for default SRB2 a while ago - you can use that version if you need to
That's a bit unorganized and outdated. In fact, I'll think I'll go and make a new one.

Oh, and is it just me or is the "deaftext" attribute for Things not working?

Of course it looks to an a awesome work. But I do not know if I will now use your editor or keep the old, it's depending on the answer to this question : SRB2 levels created with your DB2 (with slopes) must be played in OpenGL, or can works in SRB2 without OpenGL ? (I think it's a stupid question...but I want my answer anyway.)

Cool! Now you can see the slopes! That’s the only reason I never used srb2CB that and it crashed but it works now. :D

That's a bit unorganized and outdated. In fact, I'll think I'll go and make a new one.
Would have been nice if someone actually told me it was unorganised (even though it is a direct copy of the SRB2DB config) rather than talking about it behind my back. Also, how is it outdated?

Oh, and is it just me or is the "deaftext" attribute for Things not working?

I think that was an SRB2DB exclusive command, I don't remember those extra tags in my DB days.

Edit: Just briefly went through the program. Very nice, I'd use it more now that there's Z offset for things and FOFs in 3D Mode. However, I saw some glitches in the config itself (that I found as I went through my own version. I checked, they're still there).
The first one is the fact that Water Translucent No Sides (123) is mistakenly marked as the value 121 (the name, not the actual value).
The second is the missing of the Ambush value in things, which although isn't used much should probably be kept there just in case something glitchy happens.

Also, a few ideas for additions into the program (just throwing out some out). Is it possible to include a default textures and flats into the configuration in the tools menu, I hate seeing FLOOR0_2, CEIL3_1 and 2FORTW1 every time I make a new box.
And is it also possible to link the in-built Script Editor to edit MAINCFG? Thanks.

Last edited:
Would have been nice if someone actually told me it was unorganised (even though it is a direct copy of the SRB2DB config) rather than talking about it behind my back. Also, how is it outdated?
See, it is a direct copy of a long outdated version of the SRB2DB config. Back when you made it, it was up-to-date, but now it isn't anymore. That's why nobody told you; the last time I saw your config, it wasn't outdated yet. Oh, and apparently it isn't unorganized at all, at least not more so than the SRB2DB config. The linedef specials seemed to be sorted randomly, but apparently they're alphabetical (for whatever reason). The SRB2DB config does it the same way, so this was a mistake on my part.

I think that was an SRB2DB exclusive command, I don't remember those extra tags in my DB days.
Note to Kalaron: Please add that back in ;)

The second is the missing of the Ambush value in things, which although isn't used much should probably be kept there just in case something glitchy happens.
Ambush is just a new name for Deaf.

EDIT: So how do I exit GZDoom Visual Mode?

Last edited:
To exit GZDoom Visual Mode, you have to assign it to a shortcut key in the Preferences (?) menu and then use that key to exit once you're in it. I find it annoying that Esc doesn't automatically get you out of 3D mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back