This'd Be A Good Addition To The Game ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
loookie herre peoople,

aren't you sickk of constantly having to memorize yerr WADs ?
&& putting 'em into the game;; over && over && over ?

weeeell,
i think maybe STjr should make a somewhat checklist
with all of yerr added WADs and SOCs that you have in yerr SRB2 folder .

that way,
you could check the characters you want for single play,
and uncheck to enter multiplayer and re-check for others to use .

i'd like feedback,
if possible :))

(( don't be too hard on me D: ))

Ow my eyes. Don't use text colors for no reason. -Admin

There was a launcher where the players could browse to the files in their folders as well as add any special parameters on startup, but the launcher does not fully support SRB2 v2.0. I'm not entirely sure if a new launcher with the capability to add files is in the works or not, but my family almost exclusively used the old launcher for booting 1.09.4, I would like to see something like it for 2.0 as well.

That would be the most practical way to manage WADs in the manner you are talking about. Until then, you might just want to keep the names on a piece of paper, or if you are consistently adding the same files, make a shortcut and set parameters to "-addfile character.wad level.wad" without quotes and with 'character' or 'level' replaced by the wad name.
You can also make a batch file which is a little more complicated, you will need someone who is more familiar with them to walk you through them, I would probably need some kind of reference to make them myself.

JEV3 said:
There was a launcher where the players could browse to the files in their folders as well as add any special parameters on startup, but the launcher does not fully support SRB2 v2.0.
I don't suppose you'd be able to expand on where it falls short then? I've been using the old launcher for all my .wads so far and I haven't really had any obvious problems. =\

Maybe it's because I haven't tried any over the net. I should do that sometime.

Ooh, ooh, pick me! I'd love to design a new launcher program!

You know, I actually made one in Multimedia Fusion for my own purposes some time ago, but it's fairly dated and has a few issues (that, and it's made in MMF). Now that I have some knowledge in C++ I could perhaps make something in Qt or wxWidgets.

I've been using the old launcher for all my .wads so far and I haven't really had any obvious problems. =\

I can think of one: It doesn't save your settings.

batch files are made by using notepad to create a text file containing the -addfile line JEV3 said.
Go to Save As make sure the filetype filter is "all files" and name the file NAME.bat, replacing name with the name you want.

ahh,
i see .

a great thanks to you both :))
i've never heard of a launcher used for the purpose i'm looking for,
but i guess you learn something new everyday . :))

i would like more information on the old launcher,
and if maybe there's a new one that can support SRB2 .

Ow my eyes. Don't use text colors for no reason. -Admin

I know about the launcher but isint it still kind of annoying starting up the launcher everytime you want to play the game and clicking on all the wad files you want it is still a problem so the only change that would be helpful is an in game edit (if thats possible) yeah like a checklist that detects all wad based files and you can check on a box near the wad file if you want that wad.

Jellybones said:
Would that be the same thing? Digging through a huge checklist to find a wad?

basically, yeahh .
except, like in e-mail, there could be a 'check all' && 'uncheck all' button .

FoxBlitzz said:
I can think of one: It doesn't save your settings.
How about the SRB2 Riders Launcher? It saves your settings and it's at least able to add wadfiles to v2.0. A new launcher should definitely be based on this.

Jellybones said:
There's sort of something for that.

Scripts.

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Script

A sample:

Code:
alias arch "addfile scmrtf_ArchPack_a1.wad; cecho Arch Pack added!; echo * First map: MAP MAPB1 *;"
alias ques "addfile scrmtf_SonicQuest_a1.wad; cecho Sonic Quest added!; echo * First map: MAP MAPA1 *;"
alias sce "addfile SonicCE.wad; echo SonicCE added!;"
alias sen "addfile senku.wad; echo Senku added!;"

FoxBlitzz said:
I could perhaps make something in Qt or wxWidgets.

Please don't, just use win32. Nobody's going to download a multi-megabyte Qt library just to run a launcher.

Win32 isn't portable, nor does it make for a very pleasant coding experience. I _tried_ to get a grip of the Win32 API once and simply failed because it was just way too complex and ridiculous. Poorly organized documentation, plus type overload, plus lots of code to produce simple functionality a good API does not make.

Also, in the past I've gotten a small wxWidgets application to compile statically into 700kb. That's not shabby now, is it? (I could have possibly made it even smaller if I took out stuff like RTTI and the like.)

Oh, and by the way, while Qt might be multi-megabyte, you definitely don't have to download the libraries separately, unlike that embarrassment of a library called GTK.

Would it be so hard to make a new laucher that makes save files you can simply add a name on and then simply load it in a menu? I don't think it's that hard for people like the developers, if they can find a way to read a text file, open it on the same program and load the settings, it woudn't be hard.

First progress on the mockup design:

SRB2LauncherMock1.png

In particular, I'm proud of that executable selector. It's an idea I recycled from my old launcher program. It lets you quickly choose either the official EXE or one of your six most frequently used custom EXEs (configurable by clicking the wrench buttons next to them). And if you don't want to change one of those EXE slots temporarily you can simply select Other and enter the path to the executable you want to use.

We aren't doing libraries because it requires extra installations, there is a reason I had to go through the painful process of optimizing the .NET linker to get it to work and it wasn't because I felt like being nice. There is a strict "No Admin Requires or No Release" rule with SRB2 Official Releases.

I've found a lot of users don't understand how adding WAD files modifies the game, so I'd rather avoid giving them a launcher that can save their added files or we'll get even more stupid questions on "WHY CAN'T I SAVE???"

Mystic said:
I've found a lot of users don't understand how adding WAD files modifies the game, so I'd rather avoid giving them a launcher that can save their added files or we'll get even more stupid questions on "WHY CAN'T I SAVE???"

Well, obviously it wouldn't say wads, it would only save settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back