Seaside Valley Zone Act 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeventhSentinel

In charge of way less than you might think
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
After much time and effort, I present to you my first submission: Seaside Valley Zone Act 1. It is a Greenflower-esque zone with beach elements and a couple of caves, not to mention such things as an emerald token, emblems, and a small preview of my next projects.

I composed the music myself. I used Anvil Studio, MODplug, and Audacity. Credit to Ninian on #srb2fun for helping me rip Sonic 2 DAC samples.

Act 2 will be made, but I haven't made much headway on it, so don't expect it anytime soon.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this, and tell me what you think! Giving feedback is a good way to see things get fixed, you know.

Note: This level does not work properly in SRB2CB, but is still playable.

Screenshots
auxpbb.png

Aw yeah, textures and stuff!
34hj52r.png

Trees can be explored here.
2rh71y0.png

New trees and sky from Sonic 2.
Also, try "tunes 1" in the console, I dare you.

Attachments

• MH7_SVZ1_V3.rar
    6.5 MB · Views: 986
Last edited:
Looks very fun, I'll try it right now.
EDIT: Just played it, it's ok but the beach at the end is a little plain, you could make it smaller or add more things there.

Last edited:
Ah, you decided to release this? You already know what I think about it.
Looking forward to act 2.

The beach at the end is a little plain.
I am now in the process of creating palm tree objects as scenery. They will be added to both beaches when I finish creating them.

Last edited:
Here, have an update.
Changes:
Save files no longer created or required, since this is only one level. The save files will return when I finish Chemical Plant Zone Act 1.
Various visual changes, most of which are based on Sonic 2.
Collecting an emerald token will play a "secret" theme (buggy).
"Thank you for playing!" does not appear at the end of the level. (I do still like that people play this, though, despite it currently having 0 installs. Oh well, I'm sure things will pick up a bit when 2.1 comes out.)
Chemical Plant Zone Act 1 has been extended a bit but is far from finished.
SVZ2 has been restarted. That hasn't progressed very far either.
I think that's all.

All in all, a decent level. I have a couple of thoughts on it:

1. Please, PLEASE change the file name to "scr_seasidevalley1". There are better ways to sign your name on your work.
2. Parts of the level are too open and plain. I'd recommend you find some way to break up the monotony of the bustable rock textures everywhere.
3. That first spring section is awkward...when I jumped on that first spring I thought it was just taking me up to another ledge, so I moved around in midair and screwed up on the next bounce. Spring sections should ALWAYS be intuitive.

Keep it up, you may have a future.

Thank you for your feedback. I never realized just how boring having that texture everywhere was. I haven't added much, but I have changed a lot of flats and textures, and I think you will find the visuals a little less boring now.
Also, I did a thing with the title screen. I probably won't keep it this way, but I figured it might be worth trying.

I'm glad you think so, because that's one thing I'm going to keep.

This is very likely the most decent map I've ever played in my life. SO DECENT that I just HAVE to give some feedback.

First off: I love the huge open feel of everything in the map. The thing is, some sections lack detail, and the cracked rock texture gets boring after a while.

Second: It looks as if you made a section of the map, took a break, and made the next section. All I'm saying is, the map contrasts with each section mildly. Don't worry, though, I used to suffer from the same problem. Just try to make each little section blend more.

Third: OH GOD WHY DOES THAT MUSIC SOUND SO FAMILIAR? I swear, I've head something like this before.

One last note: I don't care for Mega Drive sounds at all. They sound gross and dated, in my honest opinion. I would stick with something a little more natural. Like, not 16-bit, but still not too natural. If you ever need samples or anything, just let me know and I can probably share.

Some sections lack detail, and the cracked rock texture gets boring after a while.
Yeah, I'm no genius when it comes to visuals, I know that now.
EDIT: Visuals have been edited. You will probably find them less boring. They will be released in the next update.
It looks as if you made a section of the map, took a break, and made the next section.
That's actually what I did. I thought everyone did that.
OH GOD WHY DOES THAT MUSIC SOUND SO FAMILIAR? I swear, I've head something like this before.
You haven't. Seaside Valley Zone's music is an original composition by me.
I don't care for Mega Drive sounds at all.
I played a mod once where the creator had put Ristar music in the background. I liked that, so I wanted something like that in my level. I'll take all the samples you can give me.
I'm glad you liked this!

Last edited:
Third: OH GOD WHY DOES THAT MUSIC SOUND SO FAMILIAR? I swear, I've head something like this before.

It sounds so familiar because the main melody is almost an exact copy of the chorus from "Food, Glorious Food" from the movie Oliver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSjZ-x7yZj4#t=00m50s

But you probably heard it in Ice Age 2, where the vultures sing the song around the starving main characters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A49cV0AEiuY

Although it's only a little part of "Food, Glorious Food" that sounds like Seaside Valley's music, it even appears to be in the same key (which is a little suspicious). Maybe it's subconscious inspiration, who knows! I once spent years thinking I had composed a cool piano song, only to realize that I had unknowingly ripped off the main theme of King Kong.

As for the level, I may review it soon. I've certainly played it, but it'll be good to refresh my memory.

Well I played the level for a small while and I can say it is looking completely fine, but somethings could be worked.

I belive that the cracked rock textures could be changed at certain sections. Another thing is that maybe the tree tops (not sure if it is together or not) could be like the classic FoFs that are solid when you are standing but you can go to it from bellow I am not sure (altough this is completely opitional but I think the tree tops would be better).

Also if you are really trying to make this a Level Pack, please release the musics on a diferent wad file then the levels, it is way more convenient to some players who haves slow connections (like me).

Although it's only a little part of "Food, Glorious Food" that sounds like Seaside Valley's music, it even appears to be in the same key (which is a little suspicious). Maybe it's subconscious inspiration, who knows!.
It doesn't sound that much like food glorious food, there are different rhythms to both music:
-SVZ music= Da-Da-Da-Da-Daaaaaaaaa
-FGF music= Da-DaDaDa-Daaaaaaaaaaa
I hope those examples weren't confusing.

I belive that the cracked rock textures could be changed at certain sections.
I believe he was planning this I think he said on his editing topic, I'll go check...
EDIT: It was said on this page go check the posts above yours.
Another thing is that maybe the tree tops (not sure if it is together or not) could be like the classic FoFs that are solid when you are standing but you can go to it from bellow I am not sure (altough this is completely opitional but I think the tree tops would be better).
I don't understand what you're trying to say, but I'm guessing that your talking about the tree tops being intangible (not touchable) from below. However it would kind of break the rule of tree tops being solid but then again this is based on Sonic 2...

Last edited:
"Food, Glorious Food"
Dammit, now I'm going to hear that whenever I try listening to it again.
The cracked rock textures could be changed at certain sections. Another thing is that maybe the tree tops (not sure if it is together or not) could be like the classic FoFs that are solid when you are standing but you can go to it from bellow...
Also if you are really trying to make this a Level Pack, please release the musics on a diferent wad file then the levels, it is way more convenient to some players who haves slow connections (like me).
Yeah, I was starting to get kinda tired of it. I've made some changes lately, but somehow I hadn't thought of this yet.
You may also have a point on the trees. Solid from above, intangible from below?
I'll remember to package the music separately. Heck, this way I can compose with both Genesis instruments and realistic! Everybody wins! Thanks!
This is based on Sonic 2...
I disagree. It's based on the Genesis Sonics in general.
I've been thinking about doing a Sky Sanctuary-esque level. I might call it Grand Cloud Zone, but that doesn't seem very catchy.
Besides, I think I've got another name in mind...but I'll reveal that when the time comes.

My mistake, some of it does remind of Sonic 2 but I don't know why. Maybe it's the CPZ and the intro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back