MD2s won't show up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alumae

She/Her
I input "gr_md2 on" into the console but when I start a game, the regular sprites show up instead. I have the MD2.DAT file and the files for the model I want, so I think it's a problem with what I'm putting into the console, but I could be wrong. How do I fix this?

I'm... pretty sure I am? I'm not using the Direct Draw version of the game.
No, the EXE you use doesn't matter.

In order to use MD2s, you need to access the OpenGL renderer by running SRB2 in a batch file (or shortcut) with the -opengl parameter.

Do this the batch file way by creating a new text document in the folder where srb2win.exe is located with this text in it:

Code:
srb2win.exe -opengl
Then save it as a .bat file (make sure the Save As Type is All Files, not text document), like OpenGL.bat.

Then run it, and it should launch SRB2 with OpenGL as its renderer. MD2 models should work from there.

Side note: also input this into the console after launching SRB2 in OpenGL mode to make OpenGL look much more prettier (I think SRB2 doesn't save this command to config.cfg, so you might want to put it in your autoexec.cfg):

Code:
gr_filtermode Nearest_Mipmap

Have you placed the md2s inside MD2 Folder ? create that inside your srb2 folder if you haven't already, That's how I got them to work last time.

I'm going to compile the entire process into one block of text. Some things might be obvious but I'm just trying to make sure you've done absolutely everything correctly! :)

Step 1: Make sure your MD2s are placed in a folder named "md2" that is placed in the same directory/folder as your srb2 executable.

Step 2: Make sure your "md2.dat" is also placed in the same directory as the executable. The format of md2.dat is as follows (for example):

Code:
sonic nameofsonicmodel.md2 3.0 0.0
tails tailsmodel.md2 3.0 0.0
POSS crawla.md2 3.0 0.0
etc.

Make sure you include the numbers at the end, including the decimal points. These dictate the size of the model, so they won't show up if not included.

Step 3: Use OpenGL renderer by opening Command Prompt or creating a batch file and inputting the following:

Code:
srb2win.exe -opengl

Launch it. (NOT the executable itself.)

Step 4: Open the console and enter "GR_MD2 1" - this will turn on 3D models.

Last edited:
ohhhmygosh I'm supposed to launch the batch file okay
Thank you so much guys. I finally got it to work.

For that matter, doesn't our installer already include batch files for launching either of the two exes with OpenGL? They should be named "SRB2 - OpenGL.bat "and "SRB2 - OpenGL - DirectDraw.bat".

Yeah, they do come with those. I just didn't know that I was supposed to run the batch files instead of the actual exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back