Jackie,my first "finished" character.

Uh, hi. I haven't been on SRB2 in ages, and I just started playing again a week ago. I also decided to try at making a character again, as my previous attempts all ended in ruin, mainly at the hand of me getting bored and giving up. But with this character I actually went far enough to make it playable, and instead of just reusing other sprites as a base I actually went through and made this one from scratch.

History about this character.
This character, Jackie, was originally a character in an unfinished project a friend and mine were making, which was essentially a platforming style game where you basically are supposed to immediately die within a few seconds of starting, and keep doing that until you had enough points to purchase an upgrade, be it more health, faster speed, higher jump, or whatever it is you need to avoid getting killed within the first few seconds. Basically just a game where you keep rushing to your death a few hundred times, each attempt just being slightly better. As you can probably figure out, this was a terrible game idea, so it was canceled.

I actually still have some of the sprites for Jackie from that game, they were much more detailed than this, and had a few color differences. Such as Jackie having a pink bandana/mask/scarf/whatever that thing is instead of grey, along with him actually having feet.

Unfortunately these sprites didn't entirely fit this game, and were all designed for scrolling left to right, meaning I'd have to completely make a bunch more ones just for this game. So instead of reusing them I decided to just make a bunch of new frames entirely from scratch just for this game. You can kinda see how that didn't go so well.

I'm thinking I should have just made a character out of the final boss from the scrapped game, since I liked the boss much more than Jackie, Jackie's mainly here because he's simple design wise. The boss character was a Suit wearing/Cane twirling/Broadway Singing/Top Hat Wearing/green skinned demon, kinda figure he'd be a more interesting character to play as on here. Unfortunately I don't even have his sprites, so.....yup.

Information About Gameplay With This Character.
He's about the same speed as Tails, and his ability is a homing attack where he just flies at a target with a knife pointed at them. He doesn't have a super form. Other than that there's not really anything different about him from a normal character.

Why I Am Surprised This Was Released.
I didn't really put a lot of effort into him. He was about a 6-12 hour character. He barely has any detailing on him, the animations are all wonky(or whatever the term was.), and he looks just kind of off when he's running at full speed. I also reused a crud ton of the same frames over and over again as well.

Conclusion.
I doubt most people would want to use him, unless they're for some reason doing some weird kind of Murderer themed tag or Hide And Seek mode. I'm probably gonna go back and redo half of this character's frames, or at the very least add some shading. Or if I just give up or am unable to properly improve this character to make him look at least a bit more decent, then I'm probably gonna go back to my attempts at map-making.
Also I'm kind of new to this forum, so hi whoever might be reading this. :D .Sorry for the long read.

Attachments

• srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 4,304
  • srb20003.png
    srb20003.png
    92 KB · Views: 3,439
  • srb20006.png
    srb20006.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,730
  • srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,460
  • Jackie.zip
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,255
Last edited:
I didn't really put a lot of effort into him. He was about a 6-12 hour character. He barely has any detailing on him, the animations are all wonky(or whatever the term was.), and he looks just kind of off when he's running at full speed. I also reused a crud ton of the same frames over and over again as well.

The submissions system is there just to enforce a bare minimum threshold for entries and not just allow MysticSaiyan's hodgepodge Meadow Match edit.

You say 6-12 hours as if it isn't a lot (and granted, for a character wad it isn't), but that's still a good chunk of time to spend on any sort of modification. Certainly more than it would take to paint Sonic yellow and give him a red stripe on his forehead.

Last edited:
Suggestion/Recommendation

Not bad for a first character, just I recommend you to put shading on it, and Srb2 light is always on top, take note about that when you make more characters, nice job!

This wad despite being simple and some frames looking weird like the full speed and spin/jump animations due to the mods lack of detail isnt half bad and has its own charm overall not the best but certainly better than just making a recolor

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back