f_MarioMadness.wad (Mushroom Madness Zone beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderNova

After noticing nobody ever brought the concept of Mario levels to Multiplayer, I came up with some ideas, and eventually this level was born.

The main gimmick of this map is the two routes: Above ground and underground.

There are "Warp pipes" that take you in and out of Underground sections, through use of "Super Warp springs" (meaning just some normal yellow springs). Since each base is underground, you'll have to use them sooner or later. In order to help with compatibility, I made it possible to view the underground section while in your base or above ground.

This map even has a little backstory, based on a possible Level CTF pack:

"After dueling with each-other multiple times in various venues and locations, Sonic and Knuckles decide that their world isn't enough. Through special Warp Rings, they contact Mario, who is taking a vacation. Mario, getting bored with the vacation, happily obliges to making Sonic and Knuckles a new arena for their ferocious battles. After many days of working, Mario Madness Zone is finally born."

Just because I submitted this map, doesn't mean I'm done with it (Hence the name "Mushroom Madness Beta")! If there is any problem with the map, or anything you'd like to see added or fixed up, just tell me in this topic, and I'll see what I can do.

Credits to buddy KO.T.E. for making the Level Header.
Everything else about this level was made by me.
The map's Mapnumber is 80, replacing Lime Forest Zone.
This map is only for Capture the Flag. While compatible with Match, it is not recommended to be played in that gametype.

Code:
Changelog:

August 22 2011:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Changed Map Name to "Mushroom Madness Zone" From "Mario Madness Zone"
[/LIST]
[/INDENT][INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Changed nextmap from 99 (Meadow Match Zone) to 80 (Lime Forest Zone)
[*]Fixed thokbarrier error at Red base
[/LIST][/INDENT]

September 8 2011:

[INDENT][LIST][*] Fixed grass edges on large middle platforms

[*] Fixed Red team rings at Blue team tower

[*] Renamed File to "F_MushroomMadness"

[*] Tidied up the blocks floating over the Flags[/LIST][/INDENT]

October 16 2011:

[INDENT][LIST][*] Switched WRM and Grenade Panel placement

[*] Added Rings to the bridge between Castle-Hideouts

[*] Got rid of missplaced Springs in Underground

[*] Tidied up middle Warp Pipe (made it more round)[/LIST][/INDENT]

October 24 2011:

[INDENT][LIST][*] Add Level Select Picture[/LIST][/INDENT]

May 26 2012:

[INDENT][LIST][*] Added Warp Pipes to corners of Main Platforms for accessibility 

[*] Added Bridges to Main Platforms

[*] Added a second layer of blocks to the middle Warp Pipe

[*] Added bricks to the bottom Town

[*] Re-arranged Glass Platforms to Middle and bottom Town

[/LIST][/INDENT]

-Patch 2-

[INDENT][LIST][*] Fixed springs at both bases' sniper camps not being high enough

[*] Made the Base corridors on each side bigger
[/LIST][/INDENT]

Attachments

• srb20016.png
    srb20016.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • srb20015.png
    srb20015.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 886
  • srb20017.png
    srb20017.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 843
  • f_MushroomMadness.zip
    62.6 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:
It's not bad as a map in itself, although I was disappointed by the lack of Mario-exclusive gimmicks, such as the coins and Fire Flower. Those would have been quite interesting to use in Multiplayer. The overall design of the map is excellent as it is now, but the inclusion of those items would make it even better.

It's not bad as a map in itself, although I was disappointed by the lack of Mario-exclusive gimmicks, such as the coins and Fire Flower. Those would have been quite interesting to use in Multiplayer. The overall design of the map is excellent as it is now, but the inclusion of those items would make it even better.

Mario mode renders the Fire Flower as the ONLY weapon, and coins would make the ring sound effect without Mario Mode on. There's a reason why there are few Mario themed match/ctf maps.

Mario mode renders the Fire Flower as the ONLY weapon, and coins would make the ring sound effect without Mario Mode on. There's a reason why there are few Mario themed match/ctf maps.

Then what's the point of making this one Mario-themed? If it doesn't play like Mario, then why make it look like Mario? I don't know about you, but I don't find the Mario graphics very appealing.

Then what's the point of making this one Mario-themed? If it doesn't play like Mario, then why make it look like Mario?

The map wasn't MEANT to use the Mario items. And either way, the fireflower gimmick would be even more useless than it was in the first Mario Koopa Blast level. Coins wouldn't make any difference, as they're basically identical to rings besides their appearance. I just don't see how these would work in multiplayer.

And besides, since when did the Mario Koopa Blast levels play in any way like the Mario games in terms of physics and taking damage?

Pethaps the fire flower is a bad idea, but at least SOCed Coins that make the proper sound when collected should be used instead of rings. It just seems odd that so many normal game items are placed in this Mario-themed map, and it really disrupts the level in my opinion.

Perhaps he could SOC thrown rings so they used coin sprites as well. That wouldn't be so hard, would it? I'm pretty sure thrown rings are a seperate object.

Otherwise, it would affect the team rings in the other CTF maps. The thrown rings use the team ring sprites (I believe), so in other maps, the team rings would look like coins. Yes, the thrown rings in other maps would look like coins regardless, but they move fast enough that it wouldn't be too noticable.

EDIT: I checked the wiki, and thrown rings don't use the team ring sprites after all. Never mind.

Last edited:
I've played this level and this level had pros and cons First I love that you go under the ground to get the flags, thats very creative. the castle turrets were neat too. I didn't really like how the walls of the thok berrier look. The walls are just blocky and strange looking. The floor and celing height of the thok beriier is so high it looks like the thok berrier doesn't exist. Lower the height of the thok berrier and make the thok berrier not so blocky. It would make the level better looking.

Throw coins won't feel right, a blue coin for blue team, red coin for red team. It would be akward if it was like that.

I just came out of playing it in a netgame with a few people and I certainly enjoyed myself. But there is also a lot in this map that can be improved.

The sniper towers at each base serve their purpose by holding the rail rings, but I feel they need a few more rings up there to justify the time cost taken when the player bounces up there, and to give players without ammo a chance to make use of the rail rings as soon as they grab them.

I also feel that the underground section between the basis is too out of the way for most players to even look at while they are busy with the main objective of the flags. Even with the SRM down there, I noticed it was an area of the level that was rarely used.

Alright, I'll get to work improving, and thanks for the feedback.

Also, what would you suggest to make the Underground section more interactive? Maybe an extra route through the Bases?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back