Boss Mayhem: Version 8.1 [sc_BossMayhemV8.1.wad]

Sapheros

MAJOR WARNING: This mod is heavy, so heavy in fact that mods that use custom states may not load properly when combined this mod. Please keep that in mind when adding characters and other modifications with Boss Mayhem. If you want the mod to work properly, ADD IT FIRST.

I love to fight bosses, hell, the best parts of a lot of level packs in SRB2 is the chance to kick a boss' sorry ass to kingdom come, SRB2 2.1 has been in fact the BEST of modding era, so much so that even a boss won the OLDC competition once.

srb20045.gif

But what else do I need to say? Oh right. I went out of my way to archive as many available to reuse bosses from SRB2 2.1's modding scene! Each level in this pack is a blast from the past from ported bosses on the MB, obscure bosses from 2.0 ported back, and custom 2.1 bosses that are just amazing and fun to play against. There are up to 21 unique bosses to fight, including the vanilla 7. You want to know what bosses are available? Play it yourself! I'm sure you'll be able to make it out alive... Right? >:)

This mod also heavily features BossRewards.lua and is the main inspiration of it as I originally played this mod.

So why was this called the "MB Edition"? This was actually a revised-for-submissions version of the mod that features bosses that I did have permission to use. The original version featured three bosses that I did not have approval for, and hence had to be removed. That version is obsolete as of now, so no need to worry about it.

Of course I can't design a boss for shit so here's some credits for the people that HAVE made them:
FuriousFox
CoatRack
Zipper
The Underground
ManimiFire
Lat'
Ors
Prime 2.0
Blade
Morph
Thompson
RedEnchilada
Chiri
Gaga Hax
JTE
CG7244(CarlosGamer)

these people are wonderful and you should worship them

I want to give special thanks to Lilac and Snow for creating the nice skyboxes in a few of the levels, seriously guys, start making some levels lol

Updated to:
Version 2.0
Turned Egg Rock Act 3 into a unlockable once you reach it and if you give up around there you can start over from the secrets menu.

Egg Lober has been added with the permission of ManimiFire.

Devil Super Sonic has been changed into Metal Knuckles (requested by a person that takes quality too seriously Speedwagon)

Renamed MAP99M and MAP97M into PJBOSS and SILENC respectively to prevent conflict with other music packs.

Sped up load times (decided to play around with the default fades so now it loads instantly because idk)

Swapped the placings of Egg Sand Sub and Egg Frostburn for the sake of not realizing you're hearing the same song used for two bosses in this pack (wait that's not supposed to be public!)

EMERGENCY UPDATE
Version 2.1
Fixed an issue where the game would crash at Egg Gauntlet saying it was missing CLM0000.

Added a new function for the final level that makes it more accessible in co-op.

Fixed a song problem in Ghost Boss battle where it was playing Azure Temple's theme.

Updated Title Screen again thanks to Steel Titanium.

Updated to:
Version 3.0

Remade the Hazard Crawla stage to be a little better than before.

A new boss made by me has been added, what is it? I'll never tell, play it yourself!

Updated to:
Version 3.1

Did a few hotfixes based on other mods I used.

Placed the teleport destination in the bleachers of the Castle Eggman portion of Egg Gauntlet so players joining in on the fight don't get an unfair hit.

Updated to:
Version 3.2

More fixes/modifications yay

2.0 Metal Sonic and Knuckles have a proper death animation instead of the awkward ones they had.

Hazard Crawla finally takes the spotlight as first boss! Though... the positions are now swapped... Lat''''''''''''s AMT Crawla also makes an appearance now.

If you haven't found out by now, Megaman is the new boss I've made, and now he's got the runs, becoming even easier than his Version 3.0/3.1 counterparts. He also has a um... simplistic boss cutscene intro now, and his song has been changed as well. His stage also doesn't spawn kill Player 2 in netgames anymore.

Egg Frostburn has lua on his side to "improve" his current moveset, making him look more realistically mobile and dangerous at the same time.

Updated to:
Version 3.3

There's very little for me to mess with technically but now the file size is bigger so download nao

srb20074.gif

Because I wanted to be special I decided to add a "custom" title screen and intermissions theme as well as changing up the fades a little, including my own custom fade for levels.

The Megaman boss is now up to date with the releases version of the boss.

Pinch music has been added and can be disabled with:
Code:
pinchmus (On/Off)
Defaults to On.

EMERGENCY UPDATE
Version 3.3.1

Fixed an issue with the Megaman Boss not activating the boss intro cutscene for all players.

Fixed an issue involving pinch music and Egg Lober's fight.

Removed pinch music indication.

Updated to:
Version 4.0
An old boss by Lat' has been added, but you'll have a whole level to travel through before getting to him, and this time, he's a rematch like the Checker Wrecker.

Bug fixes/level modifications

EMERGENCY UPDATE
Version 4.1

...I'm sorry...

Fixed a thing number issue where the new Knuckles boss clashed with Metal Knuckles

Changed up the Silver Boss Easter Egg, this time, try not to be Silver when he dies, otherwise you might go down with him... but he's not alone...

Forced disabling player control upon entering the map until the cutscene sequence ended.

Updated to:
Version 4.2
Folks, it's good to take your time, and now that I don't have college classes to attend anymore, I think it's time for personal celebration. A new update that more-or-less, polishes most of the issues in the latest version and adds a couple of new features to boot!

Hard Mode: That old lua isn't getting any use in this mod, So instead, I've decided to allow the player to cripple themselves in this mod. Lemme quickly explain this:

Egg Rock Zone Act 3 and "The Final Battle" are now fully unlockable levels than can also be accessed in multiplayer. To add to this duo of levels, the aesthetic is more... explosive than usual.

Green Hill Boss and Egg Hopper have been swapped. I realized that Egg Hopper is more abusable than the old Wrecker.

Slightly patched one of the paradoxes that can be obtained in the mod.

You can experience a paradox from:
Knuckles
Silver
Shadow
Chuckles

When killed, you will not lose a life, and even in the effect of hardmode, you shouldn't experience a game over too easily. This also means Silver can now properly fight the Silver boss... god help me the children that will eat this up

Hidden Palace is not that much shit anymore since I pretty much removed most of the level.

Oh, and new fades I guess:

srb20095.gif

Updated to:
Version 5
Man, was I tense on releasing this mess! Almost supposedly a month of leaving this in my PC "privately". With this chance, I managed to fix and implement as much as I could. And since I have a lot to list, lemme get the changelog ready...

Updated File Name since the Old Version is obsolete at this point.

Title Screen assets redone by CG7244. [NEW!]

CarlosGamer's Lavender World Boss by ManimiFire has been added. [NEW!]

Competition Mode is now a fully functional gamemode. [NEW!]

Megaman's Boss Fight has very little to no bugs now. [FIXED!]

Manimi's Updated Shadow Boss has replaced the original version. [NEW!]

Ghost Boss Battle's Stage now triggers the boss fight by standing on the star. [FIXED!]

Hidden Palace Zone has a slightly improved Knuckles Path. [FIXED!]

Hazard Crawla's stage has now been turned into an Enemy Rush! [NEW!]

My very own edit of creator.wad's level has been added to the mod. It is co-op only. [NEW!]

Pinch music has been added and can be disabled with:
Code:
pinchmus (On/Off)
Defaults to On.

Updated to:
Version 6

Should I be sorry anymore for updating? Nah, the updates lately have been showing improvements, and that will be shown by the new changelog for this version:

Custom Pinch Music feature is now disabled, only 4 bosses in the entire mod will have their own custom pinch theme, as the original bosses planned to have them as.

Egg Lober by ManimiFire is no longer a fire spam lagfest! Manimi has updated Egg Lober with a just-as-dangerous new attack that doesn't cause a lot of fire objects all over the place, but I'd still stay on the move either way.

New Boss: Egg Zap by ManimiFire! Try to avoid Eggman's different laser attacks, some can hurt you if you move, some can hurt if you don't move, and some will just hurt, stay on your feet and keep a lookout!

The Chaos Emeralds have been integrated into the mod, now as something you will have to EARN. You must defeat 9 different, but easy bosses without getting hit more than 3 times or dying to obtain the one of chaos emeralds the boss will have, note that any player in the stage can lose this opportunity, so make sure that if you haven't gotten hit as much, you should try to at least kill the boss. If you want reference to which stage will give you an emerald, check the level select in Boss Mayhem

Metal Sonic's stage now has an extension for the addition of Metal Redone.

Enemy Rush has been nerfed to accommodate for the serious difficulty spike in the last stages. You will now spawn with a Force Shield with hardmode off, a pity shield with hardmode set to 1, and now, no shield with hardmode set to 2. Due to a current bug with how the PlayerSpawn hook activates, once you reach the first checkpoint inside the building, you won't respawn with a shield, so I highly recommend you use the shields to your advantage, cause that's all you're getting once you enter the building.

A couple of boss have new tunes! This may not sound as important, but thanks to music from the Mod Archive, A couple of bosses have some new different tunes to not only shrink down file size, but to also change up the atmosphere of the boss arena.

Thanks to the new Emerald System, the mod will end whether you either reach Old Brak in Egg Rock Act 3 or obtain all of the emeralds and go to Boss X once you clear Egg Gauntlet.

The custom CECHO system by TehRealSalt from SUGOI's latest update has been added to the mod for the Time Paradoxes and the New Emerald system.

The Knuckles' only path in Hidden Palace now has a new destination!

A new gamedata file will be created for this version and following afterwards. Sorry, not sorry.

Updated to:
Version 6.1

After doing a public game and noticing this supposedly excusable bug I just had to start working on this as soon as possible. pls don't kill me

The new tunes used for Egg Canyon and Shadow were .MTM files, which apparently SLADE, and some SRB2 players couldn't probably hear. Thanks to AxelMoon/Sonicboy for handing me the .s3m version of the files, which are smaller, and more recognizable for SLADE and SRB2.

Egg Zap now appears in Competition Mode, my fault since I added Egg Zap just as I was finishing the original update post, so it was a literal last second addition that seemed clean at first... oops.

The "bad" Metal Sonic boss fight from 2.0 is barely like the original at this point, as I changed the moveset to be something more... tolerable maybe? I also reverted the sprites back to Metal Sonic 2.0 to clear up confusion for people who haven't seen the original boss fight... I just didn't want to make Blade's sprites part of the original boss since well... they looked decent at the time. (compared to the coding of the boss)

Slightly modified other bosses that you may or may not notice idk, I did them to make them feel more tolerable.

I'm gonna take a moment and announce that my PC is in a really unhealthy state as of this post, with constant blue screens to freezing, that I can barely use it for a while until I get a new PC. As such, before this tragedy would happen, I had this version sitting on the wayside until I had a good reason to update, since I'm planning to get rid of this 10 year old dinosaur, I think this might be a good enough reason so I can at least back this up when I can edit it again. Pointless paragraph aside, lets get to the updates.

Updated to:
Version 6.2

Egg Zap has been updated to the latest version of Aircore Station as of July 3rd, 2017.

Green Hill Zone has a new and absolutely beautiful skybox made by .Jazz.

Enemy Rush's Skybox has been updated to look a little more... aesthetic and foggier than usual. An enemy spawning sequence has been added to the boss section where before the boss will appear, you will have to survive a mini gauntlet of AMT crawlas coming from an unreachable and undamagable spawner in the ceiling.

Metal Sonic 2.0's boss theme has now been properly switched back to Doomship Zone (tunes 21). To also note on this, by Version 7, Metal Sonic 2.0 will be removed, I have no better reason to keep it since my modifications changed the boss far too much from it's original intention.

Ghost Boss Battle's little ghost inside of Pumpkin Head is going to be a tad less monotonous with modified versions of the older moves to change things up a little bit, I also tried to take the liberty to fix a bug where trying to hurt Pumpkin Head as it spawns would spit out an error message, this may still occur so I'm not sure if I can call it "fixed" or will be fixable, just don't try to attack the boss right as it spawns.

Changed Hidden Palace's boss fight to lower the pillars that you originally used to shield yourself from his attacks during the pinch. There's no avoiding that now, so good luck.

A new Boss Mayhem exclusive Boss Bar has been created and can be activated with the command:
Code:
bossbar (on/off)
Defaults to off, however your value will be saved later on... Is this netplay-compatible? Considering I made it just before my PC crapped out, not really sure. Tell me yourself!

Oh and just to note: Megaman's boss bar has been removed for the new boss bar which just looks and aligns better.

Nope, I don't have a new PC yet... (for some reason...) But I do have the long awaited update that SHOULD polish things out from here.

Updated to:
Version 7

Roasted Ravine Zone Act 3, now temporarily called: Cactus Shield Mobile from SUBARASHII has been added to the roster.

There is a somewhat final boss you can fight once you beat every single boss stage (Mecha Sonic, OldBrak, and Boss X) against a powerful enemy at the top of a tower.

Metal Sonic 2.0 has been removed, however Metal Redone gets a brand new stage to boot, more reminiscent of the Sonic Generations Boss fight, except it's not.

Fixed a bug where losing the chance to get the emerald was missing from Version 6.2.

Flame Breath actually had a Boss Picture as well... I uh, had a typo.

You might not know or remember this new title screen song, but just call it filler for the time being.

Robo-Hood's boss fight is using those delicious new sprites made by LordPotatosack.

After seeing Trail's video on Boss Mayhem which you should definitely watch, I've noticed some glaring bugs that I've tried to fix as well as fixing Metal Sonic's stage and even Cactus Shield Mobile's stage, this update may seem small but it can make quite a difference.

Updated to:
Version 7.1

Cactus Shield Mobile's stage now has the Roasted Ravine heat effect. Now the stakes are a little higher, so don't get fried!

Metal Sonic's stage is not on a conveyor belt anymore! Instead it's now the original Metal Redone stage, with a few of the improvements it should've gotten so long ago.

Megaman's stage in Single Player causes the boss bar script to freak out if you die and then reload. This is due to the way the boss bar script made by MonsterIestyn was designed, and because of such. If you die in Megaman's stage in Single Player, you have to sit through the 20 second intro sequence. It's still fine for co-op however.

To add to this, Proto and Samus have been known to cause some glitches with the HUD because of Megaman's stage's 20 second intro sequence disabling the majority of the HUD. This feature has been removed.

God help me this was a pain to work on, but I think the two people who helped me out tremendously throughout this update must have some serious condolences and thanks, seriously Prisima and MPC, you two are the best glue that will stick to something this salvageable and I can't be thankful enough for your support.

Updated to:
Version 8

Let's get the bosses out of the way. (Special Thanks to RoddyTV for this visual showcase.)

-ManimiFire has created a new Metal Knuckles Boss.

-Twisted Mobile makes its appearance.

-Enemy Rush, now known as Badnik Citadel is now made by MPC with a better handling of the gauntlet gimmick.

-Metal Sonic Redone now has a few modified attacks in the pinch phase that will give you a surprise!

-Cactus Shield Mobile, now known as Prickle Pod (Thanks Prisima) will be guaranteed to cause less lag thanks to MPC.

-While it may not be much, Robo-Hood is looking a little more flashy for his Super Form.... also known as his "elite" form. He also gets a new theme for his form, thanks to Digiflower5#7938 for the suggestion.

-Pumpkin Head's little ghost's attacks have been modified to be a little less hectic. The boss also doesn't break upon spindashing on top of the boss on spawn.

-Egg Frostburn has a new Ice gimmick, make sure you break out of the Ice in time before Eggman tries to burn you!

Now for the stuff that may not matter...

-New VS Intro for every boss except the extras.

-New Emerald Sense indicator: A new indicator that helps you check the status of being able to get the emerald from a boss.

-New Explosion Particle effect by Prisima that helps reduce lag for low-end PCs.

MAJOR WARNING: This mod is heavy, so heavy in fact that mods that use custom states may not load properly when combined this mod. Please keep that in mind when adding characters and other modifications with Boss Mayhem.

===============================================
Happy Birthday to me! It's time for an update I was originally gonna release 3 days ago to kick the year off... oops. To cap off my "Birthday Update Spree on the M.B." This mod has been-

Updated to:
Version 8.1

-Badnik Citadel's Ear-destroying music track has been replaced with a much more simple and less ear-destroying theme. Minor bugs in the stage have been fixed as well.

-(Minor and related) Fixed a bug involving Metal Knuckles and the custom intermission screen in Competition Mode.

-Robo-Hood has now gotten a difficulty update! In the stage there are 4 boss waypoints that were never used in the original. I'm assuming the creator didn't find a method to have the boss randomly teleport to any of the waypoints and instead have it follow the player during it's retaliation attack. Now that it's been fixed, try NOT to get hit off of the stage by Robo-Hood Elite's Super Arrows and Super Mace, as you will now get launched off into the pit below. (Usually you were not able to fall into the pit because of the fact that players learned to lure the boss into the pit during the retaliation attack, ending the boss sooner than expected.)

-Mecha Sonic's coding gets a slight facelift. The new Damage system is much MUCH less buggy, and if you're skilled enough you can score two hits at a time during the first phase. (Minor update: If you're the kind of modder that likes to shamelessly insert bosses, you don't have to worry about any random glitches or unintended situations to happen when inserting Mecha Sonic and his Master Emerald Super Form.
===============================================

The Chaos Emeralds have been integrated into the mod, now as something you will have to EARN. You must defeat 9 different, but easy bosses without getting hit more than 3 times or dying to obtain the one of chaos emeralds the boss will have, note that any player in the stage can lose this opportunity, so make sure that if you haven't gotten hit as much, you should try to at least kill the boss. If you want reference to which stage will give you an emerald, check the level select in Boss Mayhem.

Click on this spoiler to learn about the new competition mode.

Competition mode is back and now that it's been used with lua, it's a fully functional gamemode with well... actual competition!

First off, bosses and enemies that are in front of the player upon the stage's loading do not do ANYTHING until the countdown sequence is over.

Lives in Competition Mode are "removed" and as punishment for getting hurt or dying, you will lose score that can greatly affect your tally following the end of the stage.

Many stages outside of Egg Gauntlet that have actual level for you to explore in will instead teleport you right where the boss begins.

When bosses get hurt, they drop rings for the player to grab. If someone is busy tearing the boss apart, scurry around for rings the boss drops to keep your ring count high.

A warning for server hosts: If you play competition mode with hardmode on, the game WILL turn hardmode off and if you end up in Egg Gauntlet without the command "advancemap 2" the game WILL force it to that to prevent from going into the final two levels, which are omitted from competition mode.

A new Boss Mayhem exclusive Boss Bar has been created and can be activated with the command:
Code:
bossbar (on/off)
Defaults to off, however your value will be saved, for whatever it's worth.

Hard Mode can make the mod harder to battle in, just in case you wanted a challenge for once.
Code:
hardmode (0/1/2)
Defaults to 0, and saves when you exit the game.

Setting Hard Mode to "0" will have you play the mod as normal.

Setting Hard Mode to "1" will prevent you from gaining a mercy ring when hitting the boss, as well as gaining score from hitting them.

Setting the Hard Mode to "2" will prevent you from gaining extra lives when defeating bosses, as well as not gaining rings from the boss during the final battle of the mod.

To add to this, the variable you choose will be saved in your config.cfg.

In netgames, this command is only accessible by the Server Owner/Admin. A notification alarm will sound for the entire server upon loading the map, and printing the current variable used and the effect caused by it. The whole server will be in hard mode, so if you're having trouble with bosses... Not sure what I can tell you :P

If you're looking forward to have your custom/ported boss featured in this mod, shoot out a PM or catch me on Discord, make sure it works 100%, is given proper permission to be used outside of its original purpose and let me know of the difficulty so I can pull my hair out figuring out where to place it.

Attachments

• srb20098.gif
    srb20098.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 4,163
  • srb20099.gif
    srb20099.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 4,507
  • srb20103.gif
    srb20103.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 4,254
  • srb20104.gif
    srb20104.gif
    4.9 MB · Views: 3,789
  • srb20105.gif
    srb20105.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 3,510
  • srb20111.gif
    srb20111.gif
    7.9 MB · Views: 3,275
  • srb20112.gif
    srb20112.gif
    4 MB · Views: 3,533
  • sc_BossMayhemV8.1.zip
    35.2 MB · Views: 11,456
Last edited:
Whoever decided that infinitely-spawning Crawla Commanders was a good idea for a boss can kiss my ass. The Metal Sonic fight is trash too and I'm not really fond of not letting the game save at the final boss, considering Egg Gauntlet is such a... gauntlet.

But I really like the idea of this wad and I had a lot of fun up until the mentioned points.

So... Am I kissing your ass then?

Hazard had to get a mini buff from it's original incarnation in New Horizons, since that version had 4 HP and only shot turret bullets.

Metal Sonic... I'm not gonna explain how it was made to let you draw your own conclusions. It was meant to be trash from a very trash mod. :P

Also... I'm not sure how the game is not allowed to save...? I couldn't understand your statement to be honest.

Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It made my weeks in SLADE so much more worth it knowing someone can enjoy and give criticism.

Also... I'm not sure how the game is not allowed to save...? I couldn't understand your statement to be honest.
Your save file doesn't update to reflect your progress upon reaching Brak Eggman or Boss X. If you Game Over or give up on Boss X, for instance, you have to go through all of Egg Gauntlet and fight Brak Eggman again just to get another shot at it (and I don't think the all the lives you lost the first time through come back).

It's confirmed that Egg Rock Act 3 doesn't save due to hardcoded reasons with act saving... but that boss? Are you perfectly sure?

Turns out that maps that are hidden can't be saved at all. At that point, I'd refuse to give the player that much mercy over boss fights, you're earning your way to the final fight of the mod, or you can just map command past it, no unlockables have been added... Yet.

Last edited:
At that point, I'd refuse to give the player that much mercy over boss fights, you're earning your way to the final fight of the mod

I don't see why the player should be made to earn their way there by fighting seven bosses, the last one of which is so frustrating to fight that it was removed from the game, with no levels in between to spend replenishing their extra lives, every time they get a Game Over. Boss X isn't an extra boss in the vein of The Doomsday Zone or Mystic Realm Zone; just like all of the other levels, you get sent there automatically after beating the previous level, Chaos Emeralds or not. What's the point of labeling it as hidden?

Hazard had to get a mini buff from it's original incarnation in New Horizons, since that version had 4 HP and only shot turret bullets.

Metal Sonic... I'm not gonna explain how it was made to let you draw your own conclusions. It was meant to be trash from a very trash mod. :P

Infinite Crawla Commander spawning is just about the last thing I'd think of when thinking of "mini" buffs. Way to go as overboard as possible. Especially since, although this may be just me, the boss seems hard enough with the exploding shots and all.

I don't really approve of changing the crawla boss to make it harder while not changing the Metal Sonic boss not to be awful but it's whatever I guess.

It was already clarified, but again, when you get a Game Over or quit the game at the stand-alone ERZ3 boss, the game doesn't save right there, you have to go through the whole Egg Gauntlet again to rematch 2.0 Brak Eggman. It's overkill, especially considering that there's apparently another boss past that (or that's what seems like from reading this thread, I still have to beat giant Brak Eggman so I don't know) and that it doesn't save there either.

I know the ERZ3 thing happens because the game won't save outside of act 1s, but that should be easy to solve.

The next version will be fixing the ERZ3 issue as an Unlockable, you can access the secrets menu once you reach the boss... However, I uh, forgot to name the .dat properly, so everyone, including myself will start on a new save meant for this mod specifically to prevent clashing with the illegal version, I can't tell you how upset I am after suffering through single player just to get up to brak himself. I can truly understand the frustration...

Updated to:
Version 2.0
Turned Egg Rock Act 3 into a unlockable once you reach it and if you give up around there you can start over from the secrets menu.

Egg Lober has been added with the permission of ManimiFire.

Devil Super Sonic has been changed into Metal Knuckles (requested by a person that takes quality too seriously Speedwagon)

Renamed MAP99M and MAP97M into PJBOSS and SILENC respectively to prevent conflict with other music packs.

Sped up load times (decided to play around with the default fades so now it loads instantly because idk)

Swapped the placings of Egg Sand Sub and Egg Frostburn for the sake of not realizing you're hearing the same song used for two bosses in this pack (wait that's not supposed to be public!)

Apologies for the "with no levels in between to spend replenishing their extra lives" comment, by the way. I forgot that you get an extra life every time you defeat a boss.

EMERGENCY UPDATE
Version 2.1
Fixed an issue where the game would crash at Egg Gauntlet saying it was missing CLM0000.

Added a new function for the final level that makes it more accessible in co-op.

Fixed a song problem in Ghost Boss battle where it was playing Azure Temple's theme.

Updated Title Screen again thanks to Steel Titanium.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Apologies for the "with no levels in between to spend replenishing their extra lives" comment, by the way. I forgot that you get an extra life every time you defeat a boss.

Actually, the problem with Egg Rock Act 3 is that Brak doesn't give you points or an extra life when battling him, so the fight is more or less a juggernaut of luck and skill.

Updated to:
Version 3.0

Remade the Hazard Crawla stage to be a little better than before.

A new boss made by me has been added, what is it? I'll never tell, play it yourself!

Updated to:
Version 3.1

Did a few hotfixes based on other mods I used.

Placed the teleport destination in the bleachers of the Castle Eggman portion of Egg Gauntlet so players joining in on the fight don't get an unfair hit.

I miss getting criticism and responses on this thread... sigh.

anyways

Updated to:
Version 3.2

More fixes/modifications yay

2.0 Metal Sonic and Knuckles have a proper death animation instead of the awkward ones they had.

Hazard Crawla finally takes the spotlight as first boss! Though... the positions are now swapped... Lat''''''''''''s AMT Crawla also makes an appearance now.

If you haven't found out by now, Megaman is the new boss I've made, and now he's got the runs, becoming even easier than his Version 3.0/3.1 counterparts. He also has a um... simplistic boss cutscene intro now, and his song has been changed as well. His stage also doesn't spawn kill Player 2 in netgames anymore.

Egg Frostburn has lua on his side to "improve" his current moveset, making him look more realistically mobile and dangerous at the same time.

Hey, a new update for the b-- Oh, it still doesn't save after completing the Egg Gauntlet/at the 2.0 Brak Eggman fight. Damn it.

I liked most of the other improvements, though. The Hazard Crawla fight is actually really fun now. Megaman was cool, but he could really use a tell before he shoots his three pellets. And you should put the transitions back, some of the bosses (like the Egg Frostburn) attack super fast and it's impossible to avoid taking at least one hit without the slow transitions showing you that you spawned right in front of the boss and to jump out of the way as soon as possible.

yay more responses

By: Sapheros said:
Updated to:
Version 2.0

I mean, it's more tolerable in SP, granted it's not based on your save file. Most bosses do have a warning sound when firing, Megaman would... but I honestly had trouble trying to make a decent-ish moveset and make him a difficult boss at the same time. readying most of his moves is... eh... I'm planning to separate Megaman from Boss Mayhem and be an easily insert-able boss.

I haven't tried the new boss yet, but removing the tells for attacks shouldn't be the way to make a boss harder. Fair game design is about making sure the player understands why they got hurt/died and how they can improve. When someone makes a mistake, they should feel like it was their fault, not the game's.

Shovel Knight is probably the best example I can think of (at the moment) that has challenging bosses that don't hide what they're about to do. Specter Knight, one of the first bosses, has very well telegraphed attacks; so much so that it doesn't feel cheap when the arena goes dark. Yet I still know people who've gotten their ass kicked by him. Especially its New Game + mode; the increased difficulty's made me appreciate what's gone into the telegraphing in that game.

That turned into a little bit of an off-topic ramble, but the point is that making attacks less predictable isn't the only way to make something more challenging, as well as risks making something feel cheap unless handled very carefully

Hmm, I should try to think of something that will work for the player. Megaman was made to move elite-like before I gave him the ability to walk.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back