SRB2 Message Board

SRB2 Message Board (https://mb.srb2.org/index.php)
-   SRB2 Discussion (https://mb.srb2.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=43222)

Wumbo 01-18-2018 11:31 PM

Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

This is [not] an official discussion thread for the upcoming v2.2 update.

Some major changes include:

-Slopes will be integrated into levels
-A major texture overhaul
-Better menus
-The removal of SRB1 Remake (will be released as a WAD instead)
-Horizontal springs
-A completed Arid Canyon
-Super and Hyper Levels
-More accessibility options
-Improved Record Attack mode

Links to official information about the update:

Interface and Accessibility Preview
A Big Announcement (Everything but Big himself is v2.2 content)
2.2 Slope Hype
The Fan-Made Sonic Game That Won't Die (Picture is v2.2 content)
2.1.16 Release, 2.2 Information, and Community News Update
2.2 Preview - With Slopes!
A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits
GIF of DSZ2 of Gargoyle Puzzle
WIP Picture of Doomship/Grand Eggship Zone (Confirmed not for v2.2; Keeping link just because)
Post With Link to Picture of v2.2 Palette
The SRB2 Wiki Page

Enjoy your stay!

XleederTH 01-19-2018 01:32 AM

Well, I have some questions about this update: Are they working on be some MD2 support upgrades? such as increasing the max number of polygons or improving the way MD2 works on time attack. Are they working on new abilities that changes the way we play?
Also, I wanted to say I hope this update get a official launcher.

frozenLake 01-19-2018 02:43 AM

Why would you assume that they would touch OGL at all? Its a cancerous, inefficient Renderer that they would gladly tear out if people didn't complain. As it is, they still would tear it out if they could replace it with a rewrite.

But onto things that we /do/ know about 2.2, we know that it will have flatsprites, a completely rewritten skin system that its concept dates back all the way to when JTE was working on SRB2RP, improvements to A_Overlay (or something similar to that, looking at Tails), Some Lua functions that work with slopes, and other Lua related stuff.

Whackjood 01-19-2018 04:24 AM

Do we really need a 2.2 discussion thread? When we have an entire sub-forum here dedicated to SRB2 discussion? I mean, this thread doesn't do any harm I just find it a little silly!

Also to the best of my non-developer knowledge, Grand Eggship isn't planned to be in 2.2. STJR already has a lot of planned content for 2.2 after all. It's still an interesting early work in progress screenshot though.

glaber 01-19-2018 07:19 AM

I think it helps a little to keep a thread where all of the preview and pre-release information are easily accessible. Even if new information doesn't come out all that often.

YevaEA 01-19-2018 07:54 AM

Looking at the wiki, I noticed that there's nothing listed for ERCZ: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/In_development

toaster 01-19-2018 09:28 AM

A buddy of mine saw 2.2 take its shirt off in the shower, and she said that 2.2 has a six-pack.

That 2.2 was shredded.

RomioTheBadass 01-19-2018 10:52 AM

My favorite change by far has to be slopes intergrated to level design, It'll sure open more possibilities to play around with the levels, I always loved spindashing down hills in the classic titles.

glaber 01-19-2018 06:04 PM

I'm more curious as to how DSZ and CEZ have changed outside of what we've seen so far.

with all the radical changes some of the stages have gotten, someone could make a megaMIX level pack of the different versions getting merged.

Wumbo 01-19-2018 10:07 PM

I have a few questions myself about v2.2, if the developers would mind answering them:
  • Will the title screen be changing?
  • Will any music tracks be altered in any way? Will the already-existing track for ACZ2 be changed in any way?
  • How come we haven't been getting any good looks at Tails' new sprites? Are they still unfinished?
  • Will Egg Rock Zone be changing in any ways other than the usual sprite overhaul and slope integration?
  • Will it ever be possible to unload added files?
  • Will Arid Canyon have an Act 3?
  • I swore I once saw something about v2.2 changing how Thing sprites worked, or something like that. Is that true?
  • Will slope physics be improving? Will it allow for actual loops, like what was shown on that one April Fools Day GIF? Also, will it be possible to go up steep slopes without having to spindash?
  • Are the two v2.2 texture WADs linked in the description of a few videos like this a hoax? Or are they real?
Thank you!

GliderTheGliscor 01-19-2018 10:17 PM

Who knows? All we can do is wait and see...

toaster 01-19-2018 10:37 PM

In as few words as possible:
  • maybe?
  • yes
  • because they're exclusive to the new version, if you're asking about an fsonic style release; i showed off plenty of gifs whilst workin' on her/basically no
  • your expectations are too high
  • no
  • yes
  • players only for internal system, papersprite mode added for everything
  • yes/no/no
  • gfz textures are real, everything else is fake

Wumbo 01-19-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster (Post 798518)
  • maybe?
  • yes
  • because they're exclusive to the new version, if you're asking about an fsonic style release; i showed off plenty of gifs whilst workin' on her/basically no
  • your expectations are too high
  • no
  • yes
  • players only for internal system, papersprite mode added for everything
  • yes/no/no
  • gfz textures are real, everything else is fake

That was quick. Thanks!

Mystic 01-19-2018 10:48 PM

To expand on the slope physics, that "loop" is all a trick. The new feature in the slope physics is the ability to launch the player off of quarterpipes. Hence, the "loop" simply has the top half under reverse gravity. If you watch really closely you can even see the point where the transfer and gravity flip occurs.

tl;dr it's two half pipes with the top one under reverse gravity.

Lach 01-20-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

papersprite mode added for everything

I keep hearing about this papersprite thing. What is it and why is it cool?

Quote:

gfz textures are real, everything else is fake

To the absolute best of my knowledge, these GFZ textures, while inspired by 2.2's, are actually fan-created, specifically by this user.

TehRealSalt 01-20-2018 03:43 AM

Papersprites are a state flag that makes the object render like a mid-texture. In layman's terms, you can make stuff look like Paper Mario

Unknownlight 01-20-2018 05:14 AM

Quote:

-Improved Record Attack mode
Somehow I completely missed this. What's been changed?

MK.exe 01-20-2018 01:27 PM

Its mentioned in the latest news post @Unknownlight

Monster Iestyn 01-20-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownlight (Post 798527)
Somehow I completely missed this. What's been changed?

I think they're referring to this part of the news post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoganA (Post 797416)
http://www.srb2.org/wp-content/uploa...7c-300x188.png
Our attempts to teach new players the controls donít stop there. This is a screenshot of a record attack replay being viewed, which shows the controls being used in a new HUD element in the bottom-left corner, as well as an icon for a new feature: automatic braking.

Honestly it's only an extra HUD element. =P

Reactor 01-21-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

>Tails.

>Her.