Secrets of the Emerald Temples (was PFZ) (scr_SotETv01) (Update 10/17/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFG107

This is my first single player map that I feel is worthy to be released after about a year of experimenting with SRB2DB. I plan on making my own level pack, with this being the first level. Pinewood Forest Zone is a single player map, but it does allow for race and co-op.

Here are some screen shots for you all. I'm using spoiler tags to minimize clutter.

28rd53m.jpg

The very beginning of the level.

fongaw.jpg

I just love these waterfalls.

207tesz.jpg

The forest has a village in it.

29p22vq.jpg

This bridge section took me an entire evening to build.

I have some other work in progress for this level pack. Currently, I'm trying to finish another stage in the pack (mentioned later in this post).

JFG107

Update 8/29/09:

These are some changes I've made.

1. Spring section has been changed. Sonic players will have to be a little creative.
2. A new shortcut has been added.
3. Some Crawlas are replaced by Sharps and Robo-hoods.
4. Waterfalls are darker.
5. You no longer die if you fall off the bridge or the area with the big trees. There are ways to get out (prizes, too!).
6. There are now Jet Jaws and seaweed in the water.
7. There aren't as many flowers in a few areas. You can see the grass now.
8. The ending is completely different. I tried precaching the rain, but it still gave me that lag. Instead, the level ends in the cave, and the end of the cave will be in Act 2.

These still need to be changed:

1. Roofs for the village buildings (This is a major change, and might not be done for a while.)
2. Waterfall blocks being set higher (I've tried to do this, but it creates a flat where the base water and the waterfall meet.)
5. Maybe a few other little things

Update 9/5/09:

Act 2 is done! Just in time for Labor Day. And as a Labor Day treat, you not only get Act 2, but also a boss stage and some beta work on a later level in the pack (6 emblems required for the beta work)!

Note: The Pinewood Temple is not done. Going into the temple takes you straight to the boss for now.

New pictures have been added.

b3rear.jpg

You start in the cave where you left off from Act 1.

59sqag.jpg

The green switch opens up a temple door at the end of the level. There are three switches that open three doors. If you find all three, you can go inside the temple. Complete the temple stage, and you get a chaos emerald.

15wf9zt.jpg

This is one of the doors.

2dvjy36.jpg

Eggman's contaminated the forest!

63vuau.jpg

The once pretty waterfalls are now corrupted by slime.

yc6zl.jpg

The bridges return.

As for that beta I mentioned, I have pictures of that, too!

iyo6xd.jpg

Aquatic Shock Zone is actually the fourth level in the pack. It is an energy plant that has been flooded by Eggman. In the beta, you get Acts 1 and 2.

vpb9e0.jpg

Watch out for conveyor belts with crushers!

2u8uv6d.jpg

Some parts are character-specific. Each character has to press the correct button.

Onto Act 2 now.

2mn2bfq.jpg

The water rises and lowers here.

4qopiq.jpg

This does not look good for Sonic.

b6eww7.jpg

Neither does this.

Attachments

• scr_SotETv01.rar
    584.2 KB · Views: 1,412
Last edited:
I thought this was a pretty charming first stage that was done well for the most part, but I do have a few issues.

1. There are some death areas that MAKE NO SENSE. For instance, if you jump off the bridge, there's just normal ground down there. However, you're dead on contact. There's also another similar area later on with some standard ground and even some waterfalls, but you just die on contact anyways. Scenery is nice and all, but make it functional if it's accessible. This just seems like a big cop-out.

2. There are a handful of areas that serve no purpose whatsoever. Sometimes I would jump down into a lower enclosed area with a platform and some water below, only to find nothing but a spring leading back up to the main path. It's as if these areas were made for decoration only, and the springs were just put there in case anyone fell down. It made me think that I was wasting my time exploring the stage.

All in all, I'll give this one 3/5 stars. Also, I should note that the game noticeably stalls right before the exit (during the audio/background change). Just a little annoying.

Last edited:
it's a nice level, and I like the visuals int he level, but why is i that the water sides are SO DIFFERENT from the tops? Shouldn't they just be similar colored? and with the segment of yellow springs, it felt like you didn't know just how powerful those were. I had to do some odd maneuvering just to use them.

But all in all, it wasn't bad. 4/5 from me, and I'll be waiting for act 2 (Since that is implied at the end)

Also, I should note that the game noticeably stalls right before the exit (during the audio/background change). Just a little annoying.

I was wondering how to fix that. I want the music and sky to change there to serve as a transition to Act 2, but when I do, It gives me that lag. Is there any way to fix that?

This was a pretty tight level; you obviously knew what you were doing when you were choosing your textures. It had nice flow and it was a great level to serve as the starting point to a level pack. However, when I got to the section with the yellow springs, their positions confounded me; did you take into account the distance they would send you? Also the area under that bridge section shouldn't just be blind death. I think it would be more engaging and rewarding to exploring players for their to be some kind of an alternate route down there.

The level wasn't bad though, so I'll be waiting for act II. 4/5

So here's my two cents. Before I mentioned the things you should improve, here's what you're doing well so far:

-Dimensions. Your level is neither too cramped nor too wide. The player can move nicely in it.
-Aesthetics. Your level (for the most part) looks nice. Textures fit together, the bridge and the waterfalls add a nice touch.
-Variation. You variate platforming as well as looks. The level doesn't look or play the same for the entire playthrough.
-Multiple paths. Pretty self-explanatory.

That alone makes your level decent at least. Now to what can be improved:

-Don't overfill the stage with scenery objects. There are some parts where I couldn't see much because the floor was filled with flowers and such up to my neck.
-Use different enemies. For example fish in the underwater pools or Robo-Hoods in the trees. Crawla are pretty tiring now that we have so many new options.
-Buildings need proper roofs. They look really weird and flat this way.
-Water and waterfalls should have a more similar colour. Light and deep blue seems a strange combination.
-The part with the springs is annoying. If you use a string of springs, they should lead into another. Forcing the player to navigate while in the air makes for a frustrating gimmick. Springs should only be used as a means of transport.
-Use scenery underwater. You could also make the water floors real underwater sections. That would make them seem less bland.

All in all, pretty decent, nice for a first map. If you fix those issues, this would be pretty neat. 6/10 (Accidentally, voted 2 stars in for the thread, sorry.)

This level is cool but....

1.Some areas are simply dead pits that makes no sense at all

I Think i'll give this level 8/10

Suggestion: Keep training on SRB2DB.

I think this was an excellent attempt at a first stage. The waterfalls, even though they didn't exactly matched, looked pretty. A problem unrelated to textures though is that when I go underwater I still see the waterfalls, which is illogical. You should set the waterfalls bottom height to the top height of the water, depending where it is. I also liked the ending, although it does freeze for a moment before the music and sky changes.
Good luck on act 2.

This stage is extremely cramped and linear. Open things up a bit. Also, you need to precache rain in your stage if you want to turn on the rain later, otherwise you'll get that lag spike at the end of the level, which will disconnect anyone else playing in a netgame with you.

This is a lot better since my last visit on this topic.

Nice Update and Good spoilers.

Ok Good luck on your level pack.

I have a question. Act 2 of PFZ is ready to be released. Can I put it here or do I have to put it in submissions?

Also, Thank you everyone for the comments.

Act 2 was pretty good, although it felt slightly empty in some places, like the area where you're running around on the tree tops. Also, I noticed there was no music in the second act; at least when I played it. Also, the beta levels after PFZ had some interesting designs and I'll enjoy seeing them finished.

What on earth went wrong with ASZ2? It starts right after a starpost and consists solely of a confusing, non-fun maze. I hope it's not intented to be like this.

Onto the rest...

I like the fixes you did to PFZ1, you obviously listened to my suggestions. But you should do something to make the alternate paths more obvious. Right now there's only one main path with extra paths for those who are lucky to find them. You should also lower the amount of scenery objects even more. You have tons of flowers and such, but most of your level is in reality just flat.

PFZ2 is nice and all, but the slime doesn't really fit into your woods-like setting. The button hunt also seems pointless, since the buttons are not exactly hidden. There are other flaws, but I don't have the time to list now.

Why are ALL rings in PFZ3 hidden? A boss stage without rings is not a good idea, especially not as a first (easy) boss. Otherwise fine.

ASZ1 looks really bland and empty (please have more texture variation), but the emptiness probably comes from the unfinished-ness. The gimmicks are mostly enjoyable though. I was a bit confused at the end, because I didn't know if I should go into the hole.

Act 2 was pretty good, although it felt slightly empty in some places, like the area where you're running around on the tree tops. Also, I noticed there was no music in the second act; at least when I played it. Also, the beta levels after PFZ had some interesting designs and I'll enjoy seeing them finished.

Do you have any suggestions about what I should do for the treetop sections? Also, I did use the old space countdown for the music because in my opinion it had an eerie swamplike feel.

What on earth went wrong with ASZ2? It starts right after a starpost and consists solely of a confusing, non-fun maze. I hope it's not intented to be like this.

Thanks for catching that. ASZ2 is NOT supposed to start there. While I was testing, I moved the start position to test something in the maze, and I forgot to move it back. I'll fix this later this week (The files are on my other computer which is back home). The level is supposed to start by landing where Act 1 ended.

PFZ2 is nice and all, but the slime doesn't really fit into your woods-like setting. The button hunt also seems pointless, since the buttons are not exactly hidden. There are other flaws, but I don't have the time to list now.

In the other levels, the buttons will be more hidden. I might move the last button for PFZ2 but the first button is still going to be in plain sight as to explain how to get the Emeralds.

Last edited:
In the other levels, the buttons will be more hidden. I might move the last button for PFZ2 but the first button is still going to be in plain sight as to explain how to get the Emeralds.
The first can be in plain sight, but the second is just lame and the third is not even hidden.

I think you should have the sides of your waterfalls match the surface. It looks odd to have a sky blue texture on the wall of something with a dark-blue surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back